ST. BONAVENTURE (1-4, 0-2 A-10) vs. RICHMOND (3-3, 0-1 A-10)
Friday, Jan. 8 – 6:00 p.m.
Reilly Center – St. Bonaventure, N.Y.
Online Coverage – Live Stats | Live Video | Live Audio
Radio: WGWE 105.9 FM
The St. Bonaventure University women's basketball opens its Atlantic 10 home schedule with a pair of matchups at the Reilly Center Jan. 8 and Jan. 10. The Bonnies take on Richmond Jan. 8, beginning at 6:00 p.m. in their A-10 home opener. The Brown and White then play host to Atlantic 10 preseason favorite VCU Jan. 10 with tip scheduled for noon.
LAST TIME OUT
St. Bonaventure traveled to Ohio to take on defending Atlantic 10 regular season and tournament champion Dayton Jan. 1. The Bonnies were able to pull within five points late in the contest, but the Flyers held on to earn the victory, 56-47. Asianae Johnson led the Bonnies with 14 points, all scored in the second half, while Tori Harris added seven points and a team-high nine rebounds.
ATLANTIC 10 RANKS
Through the first month of the season, the Bonnies are averaging 15.0 turnovers per game which ranks third in the Atlantic 10. St. Bonaventure as a team also ranks sixth in the A-10 in rebounds per game (39.0) and scoring defense, allowing just 63.0 points per game.
Junior guard Asianae Johnson leads the Bonnies in scoring, averaging 13.2 points per game and is one of the more efficient scorers in the A-10. She currently ranks ninth in the league in field goal percentage with a 45.5 percent mark through five games this season. Redshirt junior Tori Harris ranks seventh in the Atlantic 10 in free throw percentage, shooting 81.2 percent from the charity stripe. Harris is the Bonnies' leading rebounder and ranks 10th in the A-10, hauling in 7.6 rebounds per game.
• Head coach Aaron Roussell enters his second season at the helm of the Richmond women's basketball program. Roussell led the Spiders to a 15-17 overall record and a road victory over George Washington in the first round of the Atlantic 10 Tournament in his first season. Prior to Richmond, Roussell led the Bucknell Bison to four straight seasons of at least 22 wins.
• The Spiders are currently 3-3 on the season and are 0-1 in Atlantic 10 play. After dropping the season opener to Virginia Tech, 85-64, the Spiders went on to win their next three contests against Navy (65-49), Gardner-Webb (85-73) and William & Mary (72-55). Richmond, however, has lost its last two games to Atlantic 10 foe VCU (73-49) and Howard (65-54). Richmond was picked to finish eighth in this year's Atlantic 10 Preseason poll.
• Kate Klimkiewicz leads the Spiders offense, averaging 13.5 points per game and is also averaging 6.0 rebounds a contest. Also averaging double figures for Richmond are Claire Holt (12.8 ppg), Addie Budnik (11.5 ppg) and Siobhan Ryan (10.00 ppg). Elaina Chapman leads the Spiders on the glass, hauling in a team-best 9.0 rebounds per game. The Spiders lead the Atlantic 10 in blocked shots with 38 while Budnik leads the league with 21 of the 38 blocks and also leads the A-10 in blocks per game, rejecting 3.5 shots per contest.
SERIES HISTORY VS. RICHMOND
Friday's matchup will be the 25th matchup all-time between the Bonnies and Spiders. Richmond leads the all-time series, 16-8, and have won the last five contests between the two teams. Last season, the Bonnies and the Spiders played a home-and-home series with Richmond taking both matchups. At the Robins Center, the Bonnies forced overtime but could not rally in the extra time, falling 63-59. In the contest at the Reilly Center, the Spiders led from start to finish, winning 72-58. The Bonnies last win over the Spiders came at the Reilly Center Jan. 31, 2016 by a 66-43 score.
• Head coach Beth O'Boyle is in her seventh season in charge of the VCU women's basketball team. While at VCU, O'Boyle has accumulated a record of 109-88 which is second all-time in program history and has an all-time record of 202-171 in 12 seasons as a head coach. St. Bonaventure head coach Jesse Fleming spent the 2011-12 season as an assistant coach at Stony Brook on O'Boyle's staff.
• The Rams enter the week 3-5 on the year and 1-0 in Atlantic 10 play. VCU most recently defeated Richmond, 73-49, in their A-10 opener Dec. 20. Prior to their victory against the Spiders, VCU had dropped three straight to Vanderbilt (90-81), East Carolina (58-55) and Old Dominion (81-76). The Rams also have wins against Buffalo (61-55) and Saint Mary's (87-79) this season. VCU also fell to Arizona State (49-40) and Stephen F. Austin (71-66) during non-conference play. The Rams finished last season 20-12 and advanced to the Atlantic 10 Championship Game before falling to Dayton. VCU was picked to win the Atlantic 10 this season, receiving 10 first-place votes. Tera Reed was named to the Preseason Atlantic 10 All-Conference First Team while Taya Robinson was named to the Third Team and the preseason All-Defensive Team.
• Reed paces the Rams offense averaging 16 points per game while shooting 44.4 percent from the floor. Also scoring in double figures for VCU are Robinson at 13.8 points per game and Sarah Te-Biasu who chips in 12.1 points per contest. Te-Biasu enters the week ranked fourth in the Atlantic 10 in three-point percentage, shooting at a 43.6 percent clip.
SERIES HISTORY VS. VCU
Sunday's matchup between the St. Bonaventure and VCU will be the 10th all-time meeting between the two programs. The Rams have won all nine previous matchups in the series. The Bonnies visited in the Rams in Richmond last season, falling to VCU 56-47. Asianae Johnson scored a team-high 17 points in the contest last season.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Redshirt junior Tori Harris is averaging a team-high 7.6 rebounds per game and has seven or more rebounds in four out of the five contests this season. As a team, the Bonnies are averaging 39 rebounds per game and have outrebounded four out of their five opponents.
• Senior Emily Calabrese hauled in five rebounds against Dayton Jan. 1, moving her into the St. Bonaventure top-20 all-time rebounding list with 525 career rebounds.
• Junior guard Asianae Johnson leads the Bonnies in scoring at 13.2 points per game this season. Johnson is shooting 45.5 percent from the floor and has scored 12 or more points in all five games this season.
The Bonnies remain at home for two more games at the Reilly Center. Bona hosts La Salle Friday, Jan. 15 with tip scheduled for 6:00 p.m. The Bonnies then welcome Saint Joseph's to the RC Sunday, Jan. 17 and that game is scheduled to tipoff at 12:00 p.m.
For the latest news on St. Bonaventure athletics, stay connected on social media. Follow the Bonnies on Twitter @GoBonnies and get women's basketball updates @BonniesWBB. Keep up with the Bonnies on Facebook /GoBonnies and on Instagram @GoBonnies.