The St. Bonaventure University women's basketball rings in the New Year with an Atlantic 10 matchup against reigning Atlantic 10 champion Dayton Friday evening. Tip is scheduled for 5:00 p.m. at UD Arena.
LAST TIME OUT
St. Bonaventure and St. John's battled until the final buzzer after the Bonnies led for over 17 minutes of game time, but the Red Storm were able to hang on for a 60-57 victory Dec. 22 in Queens. Asianae Johnson led all scorers with 14 points to go along with three rebounds and a pair of assists. Fellow junior Deja Francis added 11 points for the Bonnies and classmate Tori Harris chipped in 10 points and pulled down seven rebounds.
IN THE ATLANTIC 10
Through the first month of the season, the Bonnies are averaging 14.0 turnovers per game which ranks first in the Atlantic 10. The Bonnies next two opponents, Dayton and Saint Louis, rank tied for second with 14.5 turnovers per game. St. Bonaventure as a team also ranks fourth in the A-10 in field goal percentage defense, allowing opponents to shoot at a38.5 percent clip.
Junior guard Asianae Johnson leads the Bonnies in scoring, averaging 13.0 points per game and is one of the more efficient scorers in the A-10. She currently ranks 11th in the league in field goal percentage with a 47.1 percent mark through four games this season. Johnson also ranks 10th in assist-to-turnover ratio at 1.75 and is 11th in assists per game, handing out 3.5 helpers per contest. Redshirt junior Tori Harris ranks 11th in the Atlantic 10 in free throw percentage, shooting 78.6 percent from the charity stripe. Harris is the Bonnies' leading rebounder and ranks 13th in the A-10, hauling in seven rebounds per game.
• Head coach Shauna Green is in her fifth season at the helm of the Dayton women's basketball team and has accumulated an 88-40 record during her time with the Flyers. Last season, Green led Dayton to Atlantic 10 Regular Season and Tournament championships. During Green's first four seasons, the Flyers have three NCAA Tournament berths (2017, 2018, 2020) and one WNIT berth (2019). Green has been familiar with the Bonnies for some time as she played collegiately for Canisius from 1998-2002 and is the Golden Griffs' all-time leading scorer with 2,012 career points.
• The Flyers are currently 1-1 on the season, winning their season opener Nov. 25 against Morehead State, 71-57, but then fell to Akron Dec. 6, 77-74. Dayton has not played since the Akron game on Dec. 6 after having games against Charlotte, Alabama A&M, Indiana State, Florida and Central Michigan cancelled due to COVID-19 concerns. Dayton was picked to finish second in this year's Atlantic 10 Preseason poll and received two first-place votes. Redshirt senior Erin Whalen was named to the Preseason Atlantic 10 All-Conference First Team while classmate Araion Bradshaw and junior Kyla Whitehead were selected to the third team. Bradshaw was also named to the Atlantic 10 Preseason All-Defensive Team.
• Through Dayton's first two games, Whalen is averaging 25.5 points per game to lead the Flyers and is hauling in 5.5 rebounds per game. Also averaging double figures for Dayton is Jenna Giacone at 11.0 points per contest. Araion Bradshaw is the Flyers' leading rebounder, grabbing an average of 8.0 rebounds per game.
Friday's matchup will be the 29th all-time meeting between the Bonnies and the Flyers. Dayton leads the all-time series, 18-10, and has won four straight contests in the series as well as eight out of the last nine. The Bonnies last defeated Dayton Jan. 20, 2016, at UD Arena, 59-54.
BY THE NUMBERS
• St. Bonaventure is averaging the fewest turnovers per game in the Atlantic 10 at 14.0 per game.
• Senior Emily Calabrese needs three rebounds to enter the St. Bonaventure top-20 all-time rebounding list. Calabrese enters Friday with 520 rebounds and will pass Jodi Urich, '93 who has 522 career rebounds for 20th all-time. Calabrese also matched her career high of five assists last week at St. John's.
• The Bonnies have outrebounded three out of four opponents so far this season. Last season, St. Bonaventure outrebounded just five opponents.
The Bonnies return to the Reilly Center Jan. 8 to take on Richmond in their Atlantic 10 home opener. Tip is scheduled for 6:00 p.m.
For the latest news on St. Bonaventure athletics, stay connected on social media. Follow the Bonnies on Twitter @GoBonnies and get women's basketball updates @BonniesWBB. Keep up with the Bonnies on Facebook /GoBonnies and on Instagram @GoBonnies.