ST. BONAVENTURE (1-2, 0-1 A-10) at ST. JOHN'S (N.Y.) (2-5, 0-3 BIG EAST)
Tuesday, Dec. 22 – 12:00 p.m.
Carnesecca Arena – Queens, N.Y.
Online Coverage – Live Stats | Live Video | Live Audio
Radio: WGWE 105.9 FM
The St. Bonaventure University women's basketball team travels to Queens, N.Y. to take on St. John's Tuesday. Tip is slated for 12:00 p.m. in what will be the Bonnies' final non-conference game of the season.
LAST TIME OUT
The Bonnies fell to Big 4 rival Buffalo, 71-52, last Saturday afternoon in Amherst, N.Y. Bonaventure was led by Asianae Johnson who had 12 points to go along with three assists and two rebounds. Sophomore I'yanna Lops chipped in a career-high 11 points and four rebounds on the afternoon and classmate Olivia Brown also added 11 points.
I'M COMING HOME
Tuesday will be somewhat of a homecoming game Bonnies junior Deja Francis. The 5-7 guard hails from Queens and played her high school basketball at Murry Bergtraum. While the Bonnies make trips to the Bronx to take on Atlantic 10 foe Fordham, Tuesday marks the first time the Bonnies will play in Queens during Francis' career.
Through the first three games this season, Francis is averaging 6.3 points, 4.3 rebounds and 2.7 assists per game. Francis has yet to miss a game in her career with the Bonnies, playing in 63 contests while averaging 9.3 points, 3.0 rebounds and 3.0 assists per game.
Since becoming an assistant coach in 2005, Jesse Fleming has recruited plenty of talent to St. Bonaventure from the NYC area. Some of Fleming's first recruits to the program were Armelia Horton, who is currently the Director of Basketball Operations at Loyola-Chicago as well as Priscilla Edwards, who is currently an assistant coach at Providence and still the only player in St. Bonaventure history, men's or women's, to record a triple-double.
ABOUT ST. JOHN'S
• Head coach Joe Tartamella is in his ninth year at the helm of the St. John's women's basketball program. He has accumulated an overall record of 164-105 with the Red Storm and his 164 wins sit third on the program's all-time win list.
• The Red Storm are currently 2-5 overall and 0-3 in Big East play. St. John's started the season 2-0 with wins over Fairleigh Dickinson (70-44) and Saint Peter's (85-47) but have since lost five straight games against Villanova (74-65), Delaware (93-88), UMass (63-61), Marquette (66-62) and Providence (76-53). The Red Storm were picked to finish fourth in the Big East Preseason Poll after finishing 2019-20 with a 19-12 overall record and 11-7 in Big East play. Sophomore Leilani Correa and senior Qadashah Hoppie were named to the Preseason All-Big East Team.
• Correa paces the Red Storm offense, averaging 23 points per game. She has scored 16 or more points in all five games this season, including two 30-point performances. Hoppie also averages double figures, chipping in 18 points per game.
Tuesday's matchup between the Bonnies and the Red Storm is just the fourth meeting between the two teams all-time. The two squads met last season in the Bonnies season opener with the Red Storm taking the matchup, 68-56. In the first three meetings between St. Bonaventure and St. John's, the road team has won each time.
Tuesday's game will be broadcast through ESPN3. If you have already verified your TV provider, you will be able to navigate and watch all available content. If a lock icon appears next to your content, you will need to verify your account. Non-participating TV provider customers may have access to ESPN3 programming online at https://www.espn.com/watch/, as long as they subscribe to a participating high-speed internet service provide. Users accessing the URL above or the ESPN mobile app (Android or iOS) via an on-campus (.edu) or on-base (.mil) network receive complimentary access to ESPN3 content.
BY THE NUMBERS
• St. Bonaventure is averaging the third fewest turnovers per game in the Atlantic 10 at 14.7 per game.
• Senior Emily Calabrese needs five rebounds to enter the St. Bonaventure top-20 all-time rebounding list. Calabrese enters Saturday with 518 rebounds and will pass Jodi Urich '93 who has 522 career rebounds for 20th all-time.
• Asianae Johnson is ranked fifth in the Atlantic 10, dishing out 4.0 assists per game and is seventh in assist/turnover ratio with a 1.71 mark.
The Bonnies are off until the New Year when they travel Ohio to take on the reigning Atlantic 10 Regular Season and Tournament champion Dayton. Tip is scheduled for 5:00 p.m. at UD Arena.