ST. BONAVENTURE (1-1, 0-1 A-10) at BUFFALO (3-2, 1-0 MAC)
Saturday, Dec. 19 – 12:00 p.m.
Alumni Arena – Amherst, N.Y.
Online Coverage – Live Stats | Live Video | Live Audio
Radio: WGWE 105.9 FM
The St. Bonaventure University women's basketball team travels north to take on Big 4 rival Buffalo Saturday, Dec. 19. Tip is scheduled for 12:00 p.m.
LAST TIME OUT
The Bonnies earned their first victory of the season in the home opener Wednesday afternoon against Binghamton, 67-57. Redshirt junior Tori Harris registered her first career double-double against the Bearcats, posting a career-high 20 points and pulling down a career-best 10 rebounds. Junior Asianae Johnson nearly had a double-double of her own with 12 points and nine rebounds while fellow junior Deja Francis added 13 points.
HARRIS LEADING THE WAY
The Bonnies' season opener Dec. 11 on the road at Duquesne was the first time Tori Harris had stepped on the court competitively in 628 days. Before Dec. 11, Harris' last game she played was March 24, 2019 against USF in the WNIT with James Madison. After having to sit out the 2019-20 season due to NCAA transfer rules, Harris has made an immediate impact on the court for the Bonnies this season.
Through the first two games this season, Harris is averaging 18.0 points and 8.5 assists per game. Harris scored a then career-high 16 points in her St. Bonaventure debut to go along with a team-high seven rebounds. She followed that performance by pouring in a career-high 20 points and grabbing a career-high 10 rebounds for her first career double-double against Binghamton Dec. 16. Harris currently ranks third in the Atlantic 10 shooting 54.5 percent from the field and is sixth in rebounding with her 8.5 rpg.
An area of improvement this season for the Bonnies has been rebounding. Last season, the Bonnies ranked last in the Atlantic 10 in rebounds per game (32.6) and rebounding margin (-5.6). Fast forward to this season, through two games the Bonnies are second in the A-10 with a +10.5 rebounding margin and are third pulling down 44.5 rebounds per contest.
The Bonnies outrebounded Binghamton 50-33 in their win on Dec. 16, including 16 offensive rebounds that led to 14 second chance points. The Bonnies' 50 rebounds against Binghamton marked the first 50-rebound game for SBU since they had 50 boards against UMBC Nov. 25, 2017. Bona's +17 rebounding margin against Binghamton was also the highest rebounding margin for the program since the contest against UMBC three years ago (50-32).
• Head coach Felicia Legette-Jack is in her ninth season at the helm of the Bulls. She has accumulated an overall record of 165-100 during her time in Western New York. The Bulls have had seven straight winning seasons under Legette-Jack and four 20+ win campaigns in the last five seasons.
• The Bulls are currently 3-2 on the season and 1-0 in Mid-American Conference play, defeating Akron on Dec. 13, 85-77. Buffalo also has wins over James Madison (80-64) and Canisius (87-45) with losses coming at the hands of VCU (61-55) and Purdue (82-70). UB was picked to finish fourth in the MAC this season, receiving one first place vote. Sophomore Dyaisha Fair was selected to the MAC Preseason First-Team while redshirt senior Summer Hemphill was selected to the second team.
• Buffalo is led by Fair who is averaging 21.2 points, 7.4 rebounds and 6.0 assists per game. She recently registered a triple-double against Akron Dec. 13 where she posted 28 points, 12 rebounds and 10 assists. Also averaging double figures for the Bulls is Hemphill at 11.5 points per game and Hanna Hall at 10.8 points per contest.
The Bonnies and Bulls meet for the 29th time Saturday afternoon. Bonaventure leads the all-time series 16-12 but are just 6-7 at Alumni Arena. The Bulls have won the last four meetings between the two teams with the Bonnies winning the previous five out of six.
BY THE NUMBERS
• St. Bonaventure is outrebounding opponents 89-68 through two games this season. The Bonnies currently rank third in the Atlantic 10 and 37th in the NCAA with their +10.5 rebounding margin.
• Senior Emily Calabrese needs seven rebounds to enter the St. Bonaventure top-20 all-time rebounding list. Calabrese enters Saturday with 516 rebounds and will pass Jodi Urich '93 who has 522 career rebounds for 20th all-time.
• Junior Asianae Johnson is two points away from 700 for her career and is also six rebounds away from the 300 rebound mark.
• The Bonnies are ranked third in the Atlantic 10 and 37th in three-point percentage, shooting at a 37.9 percent clip.
The Bonnies visit The Big Apple to take on St. John's (N.Y.) Tuesday, Dec. 22. Tipoff is slated for 12:00 p.m.
For the latest news on St. Bonaventure athletics, stay connected on social media. Follow the Bonnies on Twitter @GoBonnies and get women's basketball updates @BonniesWBB. Keep up with the Bonnies on Facebook /GoBonnies and on Instagram @GoBonnies.