ST. BONAVENTURE (0-1, 0-1 A-10) vs. BINGHAMTON (0-1, 0-0 America East)
Wednesday, Dec. 16 – 4:00 p.m.
Reilly Center – St. Bonaventure, N.Y.
Online Coverage – Live Stats | Live Video | Live Audio
Radio: WGWE 105.9 FM
The St. Bonaventure University women's basketball team makes its home debut Wednesday, Dec. 16 when Binghamton visits the Reilly Center for the first time since 2014. Tip is slated for 4:00 p.m.
LAST TIME OUT
The Bonnies opened the 2020-21 season on the road at Duquesne, the first time St. Bonaventure has opened a season against an Atlantic 10 opponent in program history. The Bonnies led for most of the game but a 15-0 fourth quarter run by the Dukes was enough to propel Duquesne to a 71-63 victory. Redshirt junior Tori Harris made her Bona debut and scored a game-high 16 points on 6-of-10 shooting. She also pulled in seven rebounds for the Brown and White. Junior guard Asianae Johnson chipped in 14 points while dishing out six assists and grabbing three rebounds.
• Head coach Bethann Shapiro Ord enters her third season at the helm of the Binghamton women's basketball program and carries a 33-28 all-time record. Last season, she led the Bearcats to a 22-9 overall record, marking the most wins for Binghamton in 21 years. The Bearcats finished with a 10-7 record in America East play last season.
• Binghamton is currently 0-1 on the year after a season-opening 69-55 loss at home to Fairleigh Dickinson on Dec. 2. Wednesday's matchup against the Bonnies will be Binghamton's first game in two weeks. The Bearcats were picked to finish fifth in the America East Preseason Poll after losing 2020 America East Player of the Year Kai Moon to graduation.
• Sophomore Denai Bowman led the way for the Bearcats in their opener Dec. 2 with a career-high 22 points on 11-of-17 shooting. Sophomore guard Clare Traeger hauled in a career-high 11 rebounds against FDU.
The Bonnies and the Bearcats meet for the 11th time Wednesday afternoon. Binghamton claimed the win last year, 78-67, over St. Bonaventure in Vestal, N.Y. Prior to last season's loss, the Bonnies were winners of the first nine matchups between the two teams.
JOHNSON EARNS PRESEASON ATLANTIC 10 HONORS
Junior guard Asianae Johnson was named to the Atlantic 10 Preseason All-Conference Second Team on Nov. 9. Johnson started all 30 games for the Bonnies last season and led the team in scoring, averaging 12.7 points per game. Johnson was also the Bonnies' second leading rebounder last season, pulling in an average of 5.5 per contest. During Atlantic 10 play last year, Johnson averaged 13.4 points, 5.2 rebounds and 1.9 assists per contest.
BONNIES LAND FOUR ON PRESEASON ALL-BIG 4 TEAMS
Four members of the St. Bonaventure women's basketball team have earned recognition as part of the Preseason All-Big 4 teams: juniors Asianae Johnson and Deja Francis were each First Team selections while seniors Emily Calabrese and Jurnee President earned Second Team honors.
Johnson led the Bonnies in scoring last season with 12.7 points per game and was one of two players for the Bonnies to start all 30 games last season. She also was second on the team in rebounding, bringing in 5.5 rebounds per contest. Johnson was named to the Preseason Atlantic 10 Second Team earlier this month.
Atlantic 10 play was where Francis shined last season, averaging 11.1 points, 3.5 rebounds and 2.9 assists in 16 contests. For the season, Francis was second on the team in scoring with 9.4 points per game. Francis also earned Preseason All-Big 4 Second Team honors last season.
Calabrese enters her senior season with the Bonnies with 90 career games played and 72 career starts. Last season, Calabrese averaged 7.6 points and led the Bonnies in rebounding with 6.1 rebounds per game. She was one of the more efficient scorers in the Atlantic 10 last year, shooting at a 49.5 percent clip from the floor.
President was the only other Bonnies player to start all 30 contests last season next to Johnson while averaging 7.1 points and 3.0 rebounds in her first season with the program. She scored in double figures nine times and was second on the team with 41 threes made a year ago.
BY THE NUMBERS
• St. Bonaventure outrebounded Duquesne 39-35 last Friday in the Bonnies season opener. During the 2019-20 season, the Bonnies outrebounds their opponents just five times.
• Five players made their St. Bonaventure debut Friday against Duquesne – Redshirt junior Tori Harris, sophomore I'yanna Lops, redshirt freshman Kaitlyn Parker, freshman Morgan Gentile and freshman Maddie Dziezgowski.
• Redshirt sophomore Carrie Jornlin returned to game action for the first time since last season's exhibition game against Cortland on Oct. 30, 2019, marking 408 days between games played.
• Redshirt junior Tori Harris tallied a career-high 16 points and matched her career-high of seven rebounds she set as a sophomore at James Madison. Harris also made a career-high six field goals against Duquesne.
The Bonnies are back on the road as they head north to take on Big 4 rival Buffalo Saturday, Dec. 19. It will be the 32nd matchup all-time between Buffalo and St. Bonaventure with the Bonnies holding a 18-13 series lead. Tip is scheduled for 12:00 p.m. at Alumni Arena.
For the latest news on St. Bonaventure athletics, stay connected on social media. Follow the Bonnies on Twitter @GoBonnies and get women's basketball updates @BonniesWBB. Keep up with the Bonnies on Facebook /GoBonnies and on Instagram @GoBonnies.