ST. BONAVENTURE (4-15, 1-5 A-10) vs. RHODE ISLAND (10-7, 3-2 A-10)
Sunday, Jan. 26 – 1:00 p.m.
Reilly Center – St. Bonaventure, N.Y.
Online Coverage – Live Stats | Live Video | Live Audio
Radio: WGWE 105.9 FM
The St. Bonaventure University women's basketball team welcomes Rhode Island to the Reilly Center Sunday, Jan. 26. Tip is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.
LAST TIME OUT
The Bonnies fell to Saint Joseph's, 61-60, as the Hawks converted a layup as time expired Wednesday evening at the Reilly Center. Deja Francis scored a game-high 18 points to lead the Bonnies and Asianae Johnson added 16 points for the Brown and White. Katie Mayock grabbed an offensive rebound and laid the ball in the net for the game-winning basketball as the clock struck zero to send Saint Joe's home winners.
ABOUT RHODE ISLAND
• Tammi Reiss was named head coach of the Rhode Island women's basketball program in April 2019 and is 10-7 in her first season. Before coming to Rhode Island, Reiss spent four seasons as an assistant coach at Syracuse where she helped lead the Orange to four straight NCAA Tournament appearances.
• The Rams enter Sunday with an overall record of 10-7 and are 3-2 in the Atlantic 10. Rhode Island most recently handed UMass its first conference loss of the year, 69-66, Jan. 19. The Rams have won three out of their last four games including wins over Saint Joseph's and Richmond.
• Leading the way for the Rams is senior Nicole Jorgensen who is third in the A-10, averaging 16.8 points and leads the A-10, hauling in 9.1 rebounds per game. Also averaging double figures for Rhode Island is Davida Dale (11.9 ppg), Marta Vargas (11.6 ppg) and Erin Jones (11.1 ppg). Dale also ranks fourth in the A-10, grabbing an average of 8.2 rebounds per game.
The Bonnies and the Rams meet for the 55th time Sunday afternoon. The Bonnies lead the all-time series 32-20 and have won the last 13 meetings. The last win for the Rams came in in 2008 at the Ryan Center, 58-46. Last season in the second meeting of the year between the two teams on Feb. 21 came down to the wire as Asianae Johnson scored the winning basket as time expired, giving the Bonnies a 62-61 victory.
• The Bonnies shot a season-high 19 free throws Wednesday against Saint Joseph's. They made 16-of-19 and shot 84.2 percent from the line.
• Johnson has yet to miss a start in her young St. Bonaventure career as she has played and started in all 49 games of her career. Over those 49 games, Johnson has averaged 10.4 points and 4.4 rebounds.
• The Bonnies have five or more steals in 13 games this season. They nabbed a season-high 10 steals against Cornell on Dec. 29.
AT THE CHARITY STRIPE
The Bonnies have been much improved from the free throw line this season, shooting 77.1 percent. That mark leads the Atlantic 10 and ranks 14th in the NCAA as of Jan. 21. Last season, the Bonnies shot 68.1 percent from the line as a team.
Contributing to the Bonnies success at the line this season is sophomore Asianae Johnson, who is sixth in the A-10 with a 77.5 free throw percentage. During the 2018-19 season, Johnson shot 66.4 percent from the line.
BY THE NUMBERS
4 – Dajah Logan's 20 points against George Mason was the fourth 20-point game of the season for her. She has scored in double figures eight times this year.
5 – The Bonnies have made five or more shots from beyond the arc in 13 games this season.
13 – Olivia Brown ranks 13th in the A-10 in three-point percentage, shooting 37 percent from beyond the arc.
77.8 – The Bonnies sit atop the Atlantic 10 and rank eighth in the NCAA in free throw percentage this season. On the year, the Brown and White are shooting 77.8 percent from the charity stripe, an 11 percent increase from last season.
122 – The Bonnies have made 122 threes this season. Bonaventure is averaging 6.4 made threes per game.
The Bonnies head south to Pittsburgh to take on Duquesne Thursday, Jan. 30. Tip is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. and the game will be played at La Roche College.
For the latest news on St. Bonaventure athletics, stay connected on social media. Follow the Bonnies on Twitter @GoBonnies and get women's basketball updates @BonniesWBB. Keep up with the Bonnies on Facebook /GoBonnies and on Instagram @GoBonnies.