ORLANDO, Fla. – Asianae Johnson's two free throws with 55 seconds left in the game gave the St. Bonaventure University women's basketball team a 57-56 victory over Wright State Friday afternoon on day one of the UCF Holiday Tournament. It gave the Bonnies back-to-back wins.
President's corner three with 7:30 remaining in the contest pulled the Bonnies back within one, 49-48.
The Bonnies and Wright State (5-5) traded baskets for nearly four minutes in the final quarter. With 2:49 remaining in the period, Brown nailed a three at the top of the key, bringing St. Bonaventure within one point at 56-55.
With 55 seconds to play, Johnson was fouled and was awarded a pair of free throws. The sophomore guard stepped up and sunk both shots to give the Bonnies a 57-56 lead. The Bonnies forced a turnover with one second to play and were able to run out the clock.
Defense keyed the victory as the Bonnies held the Raiders without a field goal for the final 4:58 of the game.
Bona came out of the locker room firing, pulling back within three at the 4:52 mark in the third quarter. The Bonnies used a 9-of-15 shooting performance to cut the deficit to two, 47-45, to end the third.
The Bonnies trailed Wright State heading into the locker room at halftime, 31-25. Pacing the Bonnies in the first half was President who tallied nine points.
Wright State tried pulling away in the second quarter, opening the period on a 9-3 run and pushing its lead to nine, 29-20. President's layup and three-pointer to end the second period brought the Bonnies back within six heading into halftime.
Tyler Frierson and Angel Baker each had 12 points for Wright State.
The Bonnies are back in action Saturday for their final game in Florida. Bona takes on Saint Mary's (Cal.) with tip coming at 11:00 a.m.
- St. Bonaventure starters – Asianae Johnson, Olivia Brown, Amanda Oliver, Dajah Logan and Jurnee President.
- Friday's game marked head coach Jesse Fleming's 100th career game as a head coach.
- The Bonnies shot 42 percent (21-for-50) from the floor Friday afternoon.
- Asianae Johnson grabbed a team-high six rebounds and Deja Francis added five.
- The Bonnies outscored Wright State 32-25 in the second half Friday.
- At the UCF Thanksgiving Classic in the 2016-17 season, the Bonnies opened play with a one-point, 58-57, victory over Austin Peay
For the latest news on St. Bonaventure athletics, stay connected on social media. Follow the Bonnies on Twitter @GoBonnies and get women's basketball updates @BonniesWBB. Keep up with the Bonnies on Facebook /GoBonnies and on Instagram @GoBonnies.