STORYLINE: The St. Bonaventure women's basketball team heads to the Buckeye State for a special kids' day game at Akron Wednesday morning. In the earliest tip of the season, the Bonnies and Zips get underway at 10:30 a.m.
IT'S GAMES TIME: This Wednesday's trip to Akron begins quite possibly the busiest week of the season for the St. Bonaventure women's basketball team. The Bonnies will play three games this week with just a day off in between - after Wednesday morning's game at Akron, the Bonnies return home to face Franciscan sister school Siena Friday night at home. Finally, the Bonnies quickly turnaround to travel to Penn State for a Sunday matinee in State College, Pa.
JOHNSON A TOP FROSH: Freshman Asianae Johnson has made a splash thus far in her collegiate debut. Already an Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week selection (Nov. 19), she enters the week as the second-highest scoring freshman in the A-10 this season at 11.4 points per game. Only Saint Louis' Ciaja Harbison (12.3 ppg) ranks higher among A-10 freshmen entering the week.
- The Bonnies and Zips have met in the sport of women's basketball just three times previously and have not met since 2009.
- St. Bonaventure has won all three previous meetings including the only previous game in Akron - a 71-67 victory in Ohio on Nov. 22, 2008.
- The last time the teams met, Bona came away with a 67-37 win over the Zips on Nov. 15, 2009 at The RC. Dana Mitchell had a game-high 16 points that day for the Bonnies.
- The Zips are 4-1 on the year after wins at North Carolina A&T (49-36) and in neutral site games vs. Oakland (85-65) and Northern Kentucky (77-60). Akron won its home opener last Saturday, 63-54, over Eastern Kentucky. Akron's only loss thus far came at Youngstown State last Wednesday, 72-61.
- Akron has been strong from long range, averaging over nine threes per game while shooting nearly 37 percent from beyond the arc.
- Akron, led by Shayna Harmon's 19.2 points per game, was picked to finish sixth in the MAC Preseason Poll.