Atlantic 10 Championship Central
Date: Wednesday, March 4
Time: 4:30 p.m.
Location: Richmond (Va.) Coliseum
St. Bonaventure: 15-14 (5-11) | UMass: 11-17 (5-11)
Bonnies Statistics | Minutewomen Statistics
Where To Watch: Atlantic 10 Digital Network (atlantic10.com)
Radio: WGWE 105.9 FM with Mike "Smitty" Smith – wgwefm.com
LIVE VIDEO | LIVE AUDIO
The Starting Five:
1. The St. Bonaventure women's basketball team enters the Atlantic 10 women's basketball championship as the underdog after being seeded 12th. The Bonnies open the tournament with a familiar foe, UMass, who they've played twice already this season. St. Bonaventure came out victorious in both meetings, including a 20-point blowout on Jan. 31. The Bonnies and Minutewomen have met five times in the A-10 championship all-time with UMass holding a 3-2 edge over SBU.
2. Coach Crowley continues to preach to the Bonnies to play strong team defense. In 2014-15, St. Bonaventure ranks fourth in the A-10 in field-goal percentage defense at 36.4%, but ranks 32nd in the nation in the category. Also, SBU sits at 87th out of 343 ranked in scoring defense as it holds opponents to scoring 60 points per game.
3. Katie Healy, who was recently named to the Atlantic 10 second-team all-conference, has averaged 17 points and 7.5 rebounds per game over the last four games. Healy ranks in the top 15 in seven different categories in Bona history: second in blocks (102), sixth in free throws made (336), sixth in free throw attempts (480), eighth in rebounds (621), ninth in field goal percentage (.455), 12th in points (1,235) and 14th in made field goals (446). In 2014-15, the Lancaster, N.Y. native had a historic season as she recorded her 1,000 point, 500 rebounds, 150 assists, 100 blocks and 100 assists of her career.
4. The Brown and White are also led by junior guard Nyla Rueter, who is second on the team in scoring per game with 10.8. Rueter has recorded 17 double-digit games this season, including two of 20 points or more. The Hagerstown, Ind. native is the Bonnies primary outside shooter as she leads the squad with 54 made.
5. Freshman Mariah Ruff has remained a consistent threat for the Bonnies as the Oneonta, N.Y. native is averaging 7.2 points per game. Ruff notched two games this season of 20 points or more. The 5-9 guard has appeared in all 29 games for the Brown and White, including 19 starts. Since earning her first start against UNCG, Ruff is third in scoring as she averaged 9.2 points per game out of the 19 games.
Last Meeting: St. Bonaventure 77, UMass 57
The St. Bonaventure women's basketball team (12-10, 2-7) heated up the Mullins Center on Saturday, Jan. 31 as it defeated the UMass Minutewomen (8-13, 2-6), by a score of 77-57.
St. Bonaventure got its much needed win on Saturday, Jan. 31 as it was truly a team victory for the Bonnies. All 11 players would go on to contribute in the game, including a trio of players that registered over 10 points. Nyla Rueter led the Brown and White with a season high 22 points, while Gabby Richmond recorded her first career double-double with 18 points and 12 rebounds. Junior forward Katie Healy added 14 points and six rebounds in the winning effort.
Wednesday's meeting between the Bonnies and Minutewomen will be the 57th contest between the two schools. St. Bonaventure has won its last eight match-ups with UMass, including two this season as they schools had a home-and-home series.
Top Tier of The Atlantic 10
Since 2008-09, when the Bonnies made their first ever postseason appearance, St. Bonaventure has an overall record of 147-81 and 60-42 in the Atlantic 10, which is good for the third best in the conference only trailing the Dayton Flyers (164-59, 82-20 A-10) and Duquesne Dukes (148-75, 67-35 A-10). St. Bonaventure has made the WNIT four times and the NCAA tournament once, including a Sweet Sixteen berth in 2011-12.
Britvar Bringing It On Late
It was in the closing games of the season that Matea Britvar stood out, as she played more than 10 minutes in the final four games of the season. She grabbed 16 rebounds on the season, 10 of which came in the last four games. She is also the only Bonnie who has appeared in more than five games who has yet to commit a turnover all season.
@BonneisWBB Opens Atlantic 10 Championship Against UMass On Wednesday
Atlantic 10 Championship Central