Date: Wednesday, Feb. 25
Time: 7:00 p.m.
Location: Reilly Center | St. Bonaventure, N.Y.
St. Bonaventure: 15-12 (5-9 A-10) | La Salle: 13-14 (4-10 A-10)
Bonnies Statistics | La Salle Statistics
Where to Watch: Atlantic 10 Digital Network
Radio: 105.9 FM WGWE (wgwefm.com) – Mike "Smitty" Smith
LIVE STATS | LIVE AUDIO | LIVE VIDEO
The Starting Five
1. The Bonnies are coming off two much-needed wins last week as they defeated Saint Louis on the road and Davidson at home. St. Bonaventure now sits in 10th place, tied with George Mason, in the standings in the Atlantic 10 with no tiebreaker scenarios included. With tiebreakers included, SBU is placed in the 11th seed since it lost at Mason earlier this season. The Bonnies are hoping to play their way out of the opening day games, which includes the seeds of 11 through 14. St. Bonaventure will need to win at least one of its last two games (vs. La Salle & at Duquesne) and hope Mason loses its last two games of the season. Mason's remaining schedule is hosting Fordham on Wednesday and then traveling to George Washington on Sunday.
2. The St. Bonaventure women's basketball team hasn't lost its final regular season home game since the 2007-08 season. Under coach Crowley the Bonnies are 9-5 in its final game of the season at the Reilly Center. Two years ago, St. Bonaventure defeated La Salle in the final game of the season, which knocked the Explorers out of participating in the Atlantic 10 tournament.
3. Over her last two games, junior forward Katie Healy has averaged 19.5 points and 8.5 rebounds per game. Healy ranks in the top 15 in seven different categories in Bona history: second in blocks (101), sixth in free throws made (329), sixth in free throw attempts (468), ninth in rebounds (608), 10th in field goal percentage (.452), 12th in points (1,206) and 14th in made field goals (435).
4. The freshman point guard, Mariah Ruff, notched her second game of the year with 20 points or more on Saturday against Davidson. Ruff recently netted 25 points in a win over Rhode Island on Feb. 8 as she hit seven of 10 shots from outside. In her last two home games, Ruff has gone 12-19 from beyond the arc. On the season, Ruff is 35-114 (30.7%), which ranks third on the team, trailing junior Nyla Rueter (34.3%) and graduate student Ashley Zahn (34.5%).
5. St. Bonaventure continues to be stellar on defense as they are holding teams to an Atlantic 10 fourth best field goal percentage defense, which sits at 36.2%. The Bonnies have held opponents under 40% shooting in 18 games this season, while allowing it only nine times. The Brown and White held Saint Louis to a season low 26.9% from the field.
Last Time Out For St. Bonaventure
• The St. Bonaventure women's basketball team defeated Davidson, 72-56, Saturday, Feb 21 afternoon at the Reilly Center.
• Mariah Ruff led the way for the Bonnies with 20 points, her second 20-point performance of the season. Katie Healy and Nyla Rueter chipped in 19 points apiece.
• SBU took a 28-25 lead into halftime, but broke away from the Wildcats late in the second half. Bona outscored Davidson 42-31 in the second half. A 12-2 Bonaventure run in the final 3:26 of the game resulted in a 72-56 final score.
• The Bonnies posted a season best in turnovers and personal fouls as they only allowed seven in both categories. St. Bonaventure added 14 assists, which gave its best assist to turnover ratio on the season (2.0), as well.
Scouting The Explorers
• The La Salle Explorers hold an overall record of 13-14, and a conference record of 4-10.
• Their four conference wins came against Davidson, VCU, UMass and Rhode Island. The wins against Davidson and VCU came on the road.
• La Salle is coming off a 91-49 loss at Dayton. The Explorers have lost three of their last four games.
• The Explorers are led offensively by Micahya Owens and Alicia Cropper, who are both among the top scorers in the conference at 13.6 and 12.7 points per game
• Running the point for La Salle is Jasmine Alston, who averages 3.4 assists per game and a conference-best 2.4 steals per game.
• La Salle has blocks 4.4 shots per game, third most in the conference all season. Amy Griffin sends away 1.1 shots per game.
• La Salle has the best turnover margin in conference games at +4.38. They average 13.7 turnovers per game while forcing 18.1 from their A-10 opponents.
• The Explorers have surrendered 66.1 points per game to conference opponents. They have a scoring offense of 60.9 in conference play.
• Atlantic 10 opponents shoot .408 against the Explorers, which is the second-highest opponent shot percentage in the A-10.
• La Salle shoots .244 from beyond the arc in conference games on 197 attempts.
Last Meeting: St. Bonaventure 54, La Salle 42
On an emotional Friday night, St. Bonaventure pulled away late in the second half and posted a 54-42 win over La Salle in the quarterfinals of the 2014 Atlantic 10 Women's Basketball Championship Tournament. Hannah Little powered St. Bonaventure with a career high 22 points and 17 rebounds. Nyla Rueter added 14 points and Katie Healy had 11 points.
Wednesday's contest will be the 26th meeting between the Bonnies and the Explorers. St. Bonaventure holds the advantage all-time as they hold a 14-11 record. In the last ten meetings, the Bonnies are 9-1 with their lone loss coming last year to end the regular season. Coach Crowley is 12-7 overall against the Explorers.
Healy Named Big 4 Player of the Week
St. Bonaventure junior forward Katie Healy has been named the Big 4 women's basketball player of the Week for the period that ended Feb.22. This is her third Big 4 Player of the Week selection and the Bonnies fourth this year. The Lancaster, N.Y. native posted her fourth double-double on Wednesday, Feb. 18 at Saint Louis as she recorded 20 points and 15 rebounds. Healy followed up her performance at Saint Louis with a 19 point and two rebound game against Davidson. Throughout this season, Healy has surpassed 1,000 points, 600 rebounds, 150 assists, 100 blocks and 100 steals.