Location: Buffalo, N.Y, - Alumni Arena
Box Score (PDF) | Play-by-Play (PDF)
St. Bonaventure Starters: #11 F Hannah Little, #14 F Gabby Richmond, #21 G Nyla Rueter, #33 G Emily Michael, #42 F Katie Healy
The Short Story:
The St. Bonaventure women's basketball team's 22-game winning streak against Big 4 schools was snapped by the Buffalo Bulls (5-3) at Alumni Arena on Monday, Dec. 15, by a score of 51-44.
St. Bonaventure started off strong with a 13-0 run, but costly turnovers plagued the Bonnies throughout the game, which allowed Buffalo to hang around. St. Bonaventure recorded a season-high 27 turnovers on the day. The Bulls went onto capitalize on the Brown and White's mistakes as they scored 16 points off of turnovers.
Healy paced the Bonnies by posting her second double-double of the season with 21 points and 10 rebounds. The Lancaster, N.Y. native also, recorded four steals, two assists and two blocks.
Alexus Malone led the way for the Bulls with 15 points and 10 rebounds in just 25 minutes of play. Malone would go on to foul out with 3:22 left on the game clock.
The loss tonight also ended a six-game winning streak that the Bonnies have been on since Nov.22 when they defeated Detroit.
How It Happened:
- The Bonnies would seem unstoppable to begin the game as they opened the game up on a 13-0 run.
- By the 12 minute mark, Healy's stat-line consisted of six points, four rebounds, one assist, one block and one steal.
- At the 11:50 mark of the first half, Buffalo was able to score its first basket.
- After scoring their first basket, the Bulls went on a 11-5 run to bring the game to within five points.
- It was a sloppy first half for both teams as each team had more than 10 turnovers, apiece.
- The Bulls closed the gap of their 13-point deficit by going on an 18-5 run. The game would be tied at 18-all at halftime.
- Healy would begin the second half the same way she began the game by scoring eight of the Bonnies' first 10 points.
- The game started to go back-and-forth through the second half as each team never trailed more than seven points. Each team would hold a seven-point advantage.
- At the 8:27 mark, Alexus Malone was called on a technical foul, which allowed Nyla Rueter to sink two from the stripe and give the Bonnies a one-point lead.
- After being tied at 40-all at the 4:47 mark, UB went on an 11-4 run that gave them the seven-point victory over the Brown and White.
Beyond The Box Score:
- With her 21 points on Monday, Katie Healy is now 36 points shy of reaching the 1,000 point mark. She will become the 20th member of the club in Bonnies' history.
- This was St. Bonaventure's first loss to a Big 4 opponent since the 2006-07 season.
- The redshirt sophomore, Gabby Richmond, notched her first double digit rebound performance of her career as she brought down 11 boards.
- Hannah Little had a quiet 10 points on the night, she now has seven double-digit scoring performances this year.
- Buffalo shot 5-12 (41.7%) from beyond the arc, while the Bonnies were unable to hit any, going 0-11.
- SBU controlled the paint, 28-18.
The Bonnies look to bounce back as they return to the Reilly Center on Wednesday, Dec. 17 to wrap up their home non-conference schedule against the UNC-Greensboro Spartans.