Location: Brown University – Providence, R.I.
Box Score (PDF) | Final Stats and Play-by-Play
Bonnies Starters: #11 Hannah Little, #14 Gabby Richmond, #21 Nyla Rueter, #33 Emily Michael, #42 Katie Healy
The Short Story:
The St. Bonaventure women's basketball team (6-2) went pound for pound with the Drexel Dragons (3-2) to get a victory in a battle at the Brown University Classic on Saturday, Dec. 6. by a score of 43-32. Katie Healy paced the Bonnies throughout the game with 15 points and six rebounds, while Hannah Little brought down 10 boards and notched eight points in the winning effort.
It was a defensive battle for the Bonnies as they held the Dragons to just 28.6% from the field and 2-20 from beyond the arc. Turnovers plagued the Bonnies from being able to pull away throughout the game as they recorded 17 turnovers. The ball game remained close until the closing seconds of the game, when St. Bonaventure was able to earn the 11-point victory.
St. Bonaventure extends its winning streak to five games now. Last season the Bonnies largest winning streak was six
How It Happened:
- At the first media timeout, St. Bonaventure had already forced four fouls on the Dragons, which caused the Brown and White to go 4-6 from the line.
- Mariah Ruff played a beautiful ball to Nyla Rueter, who dished it out to Imani Outlaw for the easy pull-up jumper. The bucket tied the game up at 10.
- Katie Healy led the charge for the Bonnies in the first half, as she scored nine of the first 19 points for SBU.
- From the 12:21 mark to 5:51, St. Bonaventure went on a 10-2 run.
- At the end of the first half, both the Bonnies and Drexel shot 35% from the field, as the score was 19-16 in favor of the Bonnies.
- Drexel's leading scorer entering the contest, Sarah Curran, went into foul trouble in the first half with two fouls.
- Mariah Ruff began the second half with a three-point shot from the top of the key.
- St. Bonaventure would be unable to push their lead from past six until the final minutes of the game.
- Rueter knocked down a pull-up jumper just in-front of the three-point line to give the Bonnies to their largest lead of the day at seven with less than 1:20 in the game.
- St. Bonaventure pulled away in the final minute after knocking down four straight free-throws.
Beyond The Box Score:
- Today's game was the 15th game that Hannah Little recorded 10 or more rebounds.
- Emily Michael's set a career-high in rebounds on Saturday with eight.
- St. Bonaventure outrebounded the Dragons, 34-27. The Bonnies are now 5-0 in games where they control the boards.
- The Brown and White led for 34:52 minutes, while Drexel had the lead for just 26 seconds.
- Emily Michael and Nyla Rueter are still perfect from the line. They are shooting a combined 26-26.
The Bonnies will continue at the Brown University Classic on Sunday, Dec. 7 as they will face the host team, Brown University, at 4 p.m. Brown is 2-6 on the season.