ANNAPOLIS, MD – The St. Bonaventure University men's tennis team opened the 2020 spring season with a split, defeating Loyola (MD), 5-2, Friday evening but fell to Navy Saturday afternoon.
The Bonnies started the spring season by taking the doubles point from the Greyhounds. Martin Estevarena and newcomer Alejandro Arraya defeated the duo of Benny Glezer and Kyle Gowe, 6-4, to earn the first win for the Brown and White. Joseph Blakeley and John Rutkowski sealed the doubles point for the Bonnies, taking down Edik Pribitkin and Nate Ferro, 6-4.
In singles action, the Bonnies grabbed victories at the top three positions to secure the team victory. Estevarena grabbed a win at the No. 1 flight, defeating Skyler Gates in straight sets, 7-5, 6-3. Senior Lukas Linden Malmberg followed him, also winning in straight sets over Glezer, 6-1, 6-2. Marco Rivolo's victory at the No. 3 flight against Gower, 6-2, 6-1, was the final point the Bonnies needed to grab the win.
Arraya gave the Bonnies some insurance, winning at the No. 5 spot in three sets over Pribitkin, 6-3, 4-6, 12-10.
Saturday against Navy, the Bonnies fell 5-2.
Earning victories against the Midshipmen was Malmberg and Rivolo. Malmberg defeated Peter Lohrbach in three sets, 7-6, 2-6, 10-8. Rivolo earned his victory, taking down Jan Kjellberg, 7-5, 6-4.
The Bonnies are back in action Saturday, Jan. 20 when they host Youngstown State at the St. Bonaventure Tennis Center. That match is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.
Bonnies 5, Loyola (MD) 2
1. Martin Estevarena (SBUM) def. Skyler Gates (LOYOLA) 7-5, 6-3
2. Lukas Linden Malmberg (SBUM) def. Benny Glezer (LOYOLA) 6-1, 6-2
3. Marco Rivolo (SBUM) def. Kyle Gower (LOYOLA) 6-2, 6-1
4. Matt Fitzmaurice (LOYOLA) def. John Rutkowski (SBUM) 7-6 (7-4), 4-6, 10-1
5. Alejandro Arraya (SBUM) def. Edik Pribitkin (LOYOLA) 6-3, 4-6, 12-10
6. Charlie Shanker (LOYOLA) def. Jonni Heikkila (SBUM) 6-2, 4-6, 10-5
1. Matt Fitzmaurice/Skyler Gates (LOYOLA) def. Lukas Linden Malmberg/Marco Rivolo (SBUM) 7-5
2. Martin Estevarena/Alejandro Arraya (SBUM) def. Benny Glezer/Kyle Gower (LOYOLA) 6-4
3. Joseph Blakeley/John Rutkowski (SBUM) def. Edik Pribitkin/Nate Ferro (LOYOLA) 6-4
Navy 5, Bonnies 2
1. Segraves, Gavin (NAVY) def. Martin Estevarena (SBUM) 6-3, 6-1
2. Lukas Linden Malmberg (SBUM) def. Lohrbach, Peter (NAVY) 7-6 (7-5), 2-6, 1-0 (10-8)
3. Marco Rivolo (SBUM) def. Kjellberg, Jan (NAVY) 7-5, 6-4
4. O'Brien, Conners (NAVY) def. John Rutkowski (SBUM) 6-2, 6-2
5. Pumpelly, Christian (NAVY) def. Jonni Heikkila (SBUM) 6-0, 6-2
6. Lee, Matthew (NAVY) def. Joseph Blakeley (SBUM) 6-0, 6-1
1. Kjellberg, Jan/Lohrbach, Peter (NAVY) def. Lukas Malmberg/Marco Rivolo (SBUM) 6-3
2. Pumpelly, Christian/Segraves, Gavin (NAVY) def. Alejandro Arraya/Martin Estevarena (SBUM) 6-0
3. Ballesteros, Andres/Lee, Matthew (NAVY) def. Joseph Blakeley/John Rutkowski (SBUM) 6-1
Stay connected with St. Bonaventure athletics through social media. Follow the Bonnies on Twitter @GoBonnies and get tennis updates @BonniesTennis. Keep up with the Bonnies on Facebook /GoBonnies and on Instagram @GoBonnies.