LAKE NONA, Fla. – The St. Bonaventure University men's tennis team fell to George Washington, 4-0, in the first round of the 2019 Atlantic 10 Championship Thursday morning.
The Colonials jumped out of the gate and took the doubles point away from the Bonnies with wins at No. 2 and No. 3. At the No. 1 flight, Indra Patwardhan and Lukas Linden Malmberg were leading 5-3 over Ben Barnett and Zicheng Zeng but the match was not finished by the time the doubles point was secured.
In singles action, Martin Estevarena forced a third set against Ryan Navarro at No. 2 after winning the second set, 6-1, and was up in the third set 4-1 before the match was called. John Rutkowski won his first set against Jakub Behan, 6-1.
George Washington 4, St. Bonaventure 0
1. Zicheng Zeng (GW) def. Indra Patwardhan (SBU) 6-3, 6-0
2. Martin Estevarena (SBU) vs. Ryan Navarro (GW) 4-6, 6-1, 4-1, DNF
3. Ben Barnett (GW) def. Lukas Malmberg (SBU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Jakub Behun (GW) vs. John Rutowski (SBU) 1-6, 6-2, 4-0, DNF
5. Lawrence Sciglitano (GW) def. Marco Rivolo (SBU) 7-5, 7-5
6. Dennis Afanasev (GW) vs. Jonni Heikkila (SBU) 6-0, 6-6, DNF
1. Lukas Malmberg/Indra Patwardhan (SBU) vs. Ben Barnett/ Zicheng Zeng (GW) 5-3, DNF
2. Jakub Behun/ Lawrence Sciglitano (GW) def. Marco Rivolo/John Rutkowski (SBU) 6-1
3. Hanyu Liu/Ryan Navarro (GW) def. Logan D'Angelo/Martin Estevarena (SBU) 6-1
Stay connected with St. Bonaventure athletics through social media. Follow the Bonnies on Twitter @GoBonnies and get tennis updates @BonniesTennis. Keep up with the Bonnies on Facebook /GoBonnies and on Instagram @GoBonnies.