BUFFALO, N.Y. – The St. Bonaventure University men's swimming and diving team defeated Canisius, 167-131, in a dual meet on Sunday at Erie Community College.
The Bonnies earned wins in 10 of the 16 events, led by Michael White who had three first place finishes in the 200-butterfly, 100-butterfly and 200-IM, and he also helped the 400-medley relay team to a win.
Preston Schilling earned two wins, coming out on top in the 100 and 200-breaststroke.
Matthew Taccard's winning time of 52.71 in the 100-backstroke is the fastest a Bonnie has swam that event so far this year.
The meet's events were bookended by two relays, and the Bonnies came out on top in both events. The 400-medley relay team of Matt Taccard, Matt Goettler, White and Jordan Powers finished at 3:32.15, while the 200-freestyle relay team of Nick Burdo, Matt Taccard, Robert Marshall and Jordan Powers won at 1:26.00.
The Bonnies will be in the pool next at the Zippy Invitational at Akron on Dec. 2-4.
1. Matt Taccard, Matt Goettler, Michael White, Jordan Powers -- 3:32.15
4. John Pietrucha, David Shakhnazarov, Edward Donovan, Nick Burdo -- 3:41.25
5. Seth Erdley, Alex Massa, Guido Balderrama, Joseph Malafronte -- 3:47.05
2. Austin Childs – 243.23
3. Austin Childs
1. Nick Burdo, Matt Taccard, Robert Marshall, Jordan Powers – 1:26.00
3. Matt Goettler, Preston Schilling, Logan Hellwig, David Shakhnazarov – 1:30.21
6. Jack Hughes, Alex Szakelyhidi, Joseph Malafronte, Kevin Grant – 1:31.95
For the latest news on St. Bonaventure athletics, stay connected on social media. Follow the Bonnies on Twitter @Go_Bonnies and get men's swimming and diving updates @BonniesMSwim. Keep up with the Bonnies on Facebook /GoBonnies and on Instagram @GoBonnies.