The St. Bonaventure men's soccer team travels to the nation's capital for a Wednesday matinee at George Washington.
LAST TIME OUT
UMass jumped out to a 2-0 lead early in the second half on Saturday night at the Marra Athletics Fields Complex, but the Bonnies responded on a goal from Kosi Nwafornso in the 78th minute to cut the deficit in half. St. Bonaventure mounted a couple of late tries, but UMass held on for the 2-1 win. Freshman goalkeeper Luke Iacobellis made four saves for the Bonnies. The teams finished tied in shots at 13 apiece.
KOSI GETS HIS SECOND
Freshman Kosi Nwafornso tallied his second goal of the year on Saturday, scoring on a shot that was assisted by Anthony Gaglianese and Remi Dujardin. Nwafornso had previously scored a goal against Detroit last month, the first of his collegiate career. The assists also were the first career points for Gaglianese and Dujardin, both freshmen.
First-year head coach Kwame Oduro has praised his team for improving in each contest, but has noted that the youthful Bonnies are still looking for a complete performance. Despite not having yet scored with their first conference win, the Bonnies have been on the brink of a breakthrough since starting Atlantic 10 play. The Bonnies trailed 1-0 in the 83rd minute at VCU, which is undefeated in conference action, before dropping a 2-0 decision in the A-10 opener. Since, the Bonnies have taken Davidson to double overtime (2-1) and dropped a hard-fought 2-1 score to UMass.
SCOUTING GEORGE WASHINGTON
- The Colonials enter Wednesday in second-place in the A-10 standings with a 3-1-0 conference mark, behind only Dayton (3-0-1).
- GW had a five-game win streak snapped on Saturday in a 1-0 home loss to Rhode Island, its first setback since Sept. 22.
- The Colonials had not allowed a goal in 409:46 until Rhode Island scored what would be the game-winner in the 60th minute Saturday.
- Junior Garrett Heine has 15 points on the season, ranking third in the Atlantic 10 (six goals, three assists). Sophomore Christian Lawal is tied for ninth with 10 points (four goals, two assists).
- Senior goalkeeper Jack Lopez has started seven matches with 18 saves and a 0.98 goals against average.
The Bonnies will travel to A-10 rival Duquesne on Saturday for a 7 p.m. start.