The St. Bonaventure men's soccer team will host its next-to-last home game of the season on Saturday night, welcoming in UMass for a 7 p.m. start at the Marra Athletics Fields Complex.
LAST TIME OUT
The Bonnies fought to the wire with Davidson on Wednesday at home, using a goal from senior Jimmy Barrios in the 77th minute to tie the contest and send things to extra time. Davidson broke through in the second overtime, however, notching the game-winner in the 106th minute for a 2-1 victory.
REGULAR SEASON WINDING DOWN
The Bonnies host their next-to-last home game Saturday night vs. UMass, completing a three-match homestand. After Saturday, St. Bonaventure has just four matches remaining including the home finale Oct. 31 vs. Saint Louis.
Senior Jimmy Barrios has created numerous scoring chances in recent weeks, but was finally able to break through with his first goal in the Brown and White on Wednesday vs. Davidson. Barrios has started 11 of 14 matches this season after playing in nine matches last year in his debut with SBU. He transferred from Herkimer College where he was an all-conference performer for the two-time NJCAA national champions.
- The Minutemen worked themselves into the conference playoff picture over the past week, defeating Rhode Island, 3-2, and coming away with a 0-0 draw vs. Saint Louis to move to 1-1-1 in A-10 play.
- Senior forward Mark Morris was named the A-10 Co-Player of the Week on Oct. 12 by delivering a hat trick in the win over Rhode Island. It was the first hat trick by a UMass player since 2002.
- Morris leads the team with six goals on the year despite missing four games due to injury earlier in the fall.
- Goalkeepers Jorge Becerra and Bardia Asefnia have each seen time in net this year – Asefnia has started eight games, posting a 2.24 goals against average with 31 saves while Becerra has started five matches with a 1.75 GAA and 16 stops.
- UMass will seek its first road win of the year – the Minutemen are 0-7 in away games this season.
The Bonnies will hit the road next week, traveling to George Washington on Wednesday afternoon before playing at Duquesne next Saturday night.
For the latest news on St. Bonaventure athletics, stay connected on social media. Follow the Bonnies on Twitter @Go_Bonnies and get men's soccer updates @BonniesMSoccer. Keep up with the Bonnies on Facebook /GoBonnies and on Instagram @GoBonnies.