Friday, Sept. 18 at Niagara (0-6-0) – 7 p.m.
Sunday, Sept. 20 vs. Canisius (2-3-1) – 1 p.m.
Marra Athletic Fields Complex (St. Bonaventure, N.Y.)
Sunday's Online Coverage – Live Stats
The St. Bonaventure University men's soccer team heads north to face Niagara on Friday night in the first of a pair of weekend rivalry matches. Head coach Kwame Oduro's club then hosts Canisius at the Marra Athletic Fields Complex on Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m. Oduro spent the past four years as an assistant with Canisius, helping the Golden Griffs to set a school record for wins in 2014. Bonnies assistant coach Ryan Arvin also spent four years as a goalkeeper at Canisius.
LAST TIME OUT
The Bonnies found the net on a late second half goal from Kosi Nwafornso, but could not overcome a two-goal deficit and fell, 2-1, vs. Detroit at Western Michigan last Sunday. Nwafornso placed two shots on net while Mitch Skrabacz had a third Bonaventure shot on goal. Bobby Diaz made six saves for SBU.
SCOUTING THE BONNIES
- Nwafornso's goal vs. Detroit came with the Bonnies playing a man down. SBU received a red card in the 67th minute. For the freshman Nwafornso, it was his first career goal.
- Diaz has made six or more saves in four of five matches played this season.
- Nwafornso and redshirt sophomore Bonaventure Akinlosotu were named to the Radisson Invitational All-Tournament Team last weekend.
- Kieran Toland's 10 shots on the season lead the Bonnies. Nwafornso is second with eight.
- Friday's match ends a five-match string of road contests for SBU. The Bonnies have not played at home since Aug. 31.
- The Purple Eagles seek their first win of the season on Friday night. Niagara has suffered a pair of heartbreakers in extra time – a 2-1 double overtime loss at Michigan on Sept. 6 and 3-2 in overtime at NJIT on Sept. 11.
- Freshman forward Alex Dimitriu is the lone Niagara player with multiple goals on the year, two. Sophomore goalkeeper Joel Gerbierich has seen the lion's share of time net with a 2.09 goals against average in six games.
- Niagara and SBU have one like opponent this year – NJIT. The Bonnies defeated the Highlanders, 2-1, at home in the season-opener while Niagara fell at NJIT in overtime.
- The Golden Griffins have been idle since a 2-1 win at UMass Lowell last Sunday.
- Canisius matched or set 11 school records and gave up just 16 goals in 2014.
- Canisius has been outscored 9-6 on the year and has gone 1-3-1 on the road.
- Senior midfielder Chris Berardi has been the Griff's top scoring threat with a team-high three goals on the year.