ON THE TEE
- Freshman Erik Stauderman bounced back from a tough first 36 holes in a big way with his best round as a collegiate player, a 1-under 70.
- Senior Brent Morgan finished top-20 for the fifth time this season and has just one tournament finish outside of the top-20 on the year.
- Junior Zach Chaddock (T-19) recorded his best full field finish in a tournament this year.
MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. – Brent Morgan and Zach Chaddock each scored top-20 individual finishes to lead the St. Bonaventure golf team to fifth overall out of 13 teams at the Bash at the Beach at The Surf Golf and Beach Club.
Jacksonville State showed the way, winning by one shot over Wake Forest with an 850 total. George Washington was third at 859 while Incarnate Word was fourth (866) and St. Bonaventure fifth (871).
The Bonnies (295-285-291) recorded a team score of 291 on Tuesday, paced by a 1-under 70 from freshman Erik Stauderman.
Morgan finished with a final round 74 Tuesday to take 18th overall out of 86 competitors (71-72-74/217) while Chaddock was just behind in a tie for 19th (71-71-76/218) just one shot off his teammate.
Matt Abendroth had a solid 54 holes as well, tying for 23rd on the individual leaderboard (72-72-75/219).
Danny Gianniny (81-70-72/223) and Stauderman (84-83-70/237) wrapped up the team scoring for the Bonnies.
Carding birdies wasn't an issue for the Bonnies – their 45 during the tournament were third-highest in the field, just one back of Jacksonville State and three off Wake Forest. In all, the Bonnies did well on the par-3s (+15, third-best in the field) and par-5s (-9 for the week), but struggles on the par-4s (+43) kept Bona from placing higher.
Next up is a trip to Williamsburg, Va. for the Golden Horsehoe Intercollegiate at the Golden Horseshoe Golf Club Gold Course March 24-26.
- The Bonnies had two eagles on the week – one each from Abendroth and Gianniny.
- St. Bonaventure has started the spring season with a third-place finish in the Atlantic 10 Match Play Championship and now a top-five at the Bash at the Beach.
- Chaddock followed up a perfect 3-0 record at the A-10 Match Play with a solid top-20 this week.
- Stauderman's previous low round was a 71 at the Little Three Championship during the fall.
- Four Atlantic 10 teams were in the field – GW (second), SBU (fifth), La Salle (seventh) and Saint Joseph's (eighth).
1. Jacksonville State – 850
2. Wake Forest – 851
3. George Washington – 859
4. Incarnate Word – 866
5. St. Bonaventure – 871
6. Loyola Chicago – 883
7. La Salle – 884
8. Saint Joseph's – 887
9. Stetson – 893
10. Appalachian State – 901
11. Brown – 911
12. North Dakota – 917
13. Providence – 939
- By Scott Eddy, Director of Athletics Communications
For the latest news on St. Bonaventure athletics, stay connected on social media. Follow the Bonnies on Twitter @GoBonnies and get golf updates @BonniesGolf. Keep up with the Bonnies on Facebook /GoBonnies and on Instagram @GoBonnies.