ST. BONAVENTURE, N.Y. – Over the past two weeks, St. Bonaventure University re-opened athletic facilities to members of the men's and women's basketball teams.
After a recommended 14 days of physical distancing and a negative COVID-19 test prior to leaving their hometowns, followed by a second round of COVID-19 testing and physical exams on campus, student-athletes have returned to voluntary basketball activities.
Members of the men's basketball team began arriving on campus July 18 while the majority of the women's basketball team arrived on campus July 25. The rest of St. Bonaventure's Division I student-athletes will begin arriving on campus in August.
Student-athletes were permitted to return to voluntary activity once passing a physical and receiving two negative test results for COVID-19. Thus far, all student-athletes and staff currently on campus have received negative test results through testing administered by the Cattaraugus County Health Department. Results of the initial on-campus COVID-19 testing are below:
- Staff working directly with student-athletes: Total tested: 27; Positive: 0
- Student-athletes: Total tested: 23; Positive: 0
- Cumulative: Total Tested: 50; Positive: 0
Athletics department staff members have been preparing for the return of student-athletes by developing several new protocols in response to the COVID-19 virus.
To ensure the safety of student-athletes and members of the campus community, here are a few of the key points relating to the re-opening of facilities:
- All student-athletes will be tested for COVID-19 before returning to campus at local testing centers nearest their homes. Student-athletes will also fill out a self-evaluation health screening before arrival. In the two weeks prior to returning to campus, student-athletes are asked to self-quarantine.
- Each student-athlete was tested for COVID-19 on campus after their arrival with testing provided by the Cattaraugus County Health Department in partnership with Olean General Hospital. Student-athletes isolated themselves from others following their arrival until the confirmation of test results. Team activities did not begin until all test results arrived.
- Individual non-contact workouts will be conducted for the first two weeks with a gradual phase-in to larger groups.
- Student-athletes will fill out a health screening each day they are on campus through an app before going to class or attending team activities.
- Student-athletes arriving from states on the current New York travel quarantine list are following 14-day quarantine guidelines before returning to basketball activities.
- Any athlete flagged from the COVID-19 health questionnaire will be evaluated by a physician.
- Anyone who tests positive for COVID-19 while on campus will be taken to a local testing center for an additional test to confirm the positive result and be moved to a quarantine room on campus in the interim – a second positive test will result in a 14-day quarantine while being attended to daily by training staff.
- One positive test within a team will prompt testing of each player and staff member.
- Hand sanitizer and disinfectant will be available in all buildings and areas athletes frequently access.
- Policies will be set in motion to keep each basketball cleaned and wiped down before and after each practice / workout.
- Face coverings are provided to each student-athlete. All coaches and staff will wear a face covering at all times as well.
St. Bonaventure's basketball student-athletes will remain on campus for the remainder of the summer. Periodic updates will be provided through GoBonnies.com as well as sbu.edu as more student-athletes arrive on campus.