Box Score (PDF)
DAYTON, Ohio – Seventh-ranked Dayton built a double-digit lead with a furious run over the final three minutes of the first half and did not relinquish control, scoring an 86-60 victory over St. Bonaventure Wednesday night at UD Arena.
Bona started cold early, but then responded to hold its own with the highly-ranked Flyers during the first half.
A couple of early Obi Toppin dunks got the Flyers faithful going, but the Bonnies continued to remain within two possessions during much of the half. The Bonnies pulled within a point following a three from Alejandro Vasquez for a 23-22 score, then again following work at the line by Kyle Lofton under five minutes before the half.
Dayton showed just why it has ascended to a top-10 national ranking late in the half, though, embarking on a 10-0 sprint highlighted by a Jalen Crutcher three-pointer and Toppin lay-in to ultimately take a 47-26 lead to the break.
English had Bona's first seven points of the second half as the visitors attempted to chip away at the halftime deficit, but Dayton refused to relent.
The Bonnies got within 19 as English posted 15 points during the second half, but could get no closer down the stretch.
St. Bonaventure (12-7, 4-2 A-10) shot 41 percent from the floor, but Dayton moved to 17-2, 6-0 thanks to a scorching 65 percent (35-for-54) shooting performance.
Crutcher led all scorers with 23 points with a 9-for-13 effort from the floor, including five threes, while Toppin finished with 18 points on a 9-of-11 night.
- St. Bonaventure again used a starting lineup of Kyle Lofton, Dominick Welch, Jaren English, Amadi Ikpeze and Justin Winston.
- The Bonnies are 5-2 in their last seven games vs. Top 25 opponents.
- Dayton is the first AP Top 10 opponent for the Bonnies since taking No. 10/12 Florida State to the brink in the 2012 NCAA Tournament, 66-63.
- Dayton moved to 11-0 on its home floor this season.
- English matched his Division I-best scoring output with 17 points.
- Robert Carpenter tallied a career-high seven points in 12 minutes off the bench.
- Dayton led on the boards, 34-28. Dominick Welch had a team-high six rebounds.
St. Bonaventure returns home to the Reilly Center to face Rhode Island Saturday afternoon. Tip-off time is slated for 3 p.m.
For the latest news on St. Bonaventure athletics, stay connected on social media. Follow the Bonnies on Twitter @GoBonnies and get men's basketball updates @BonniesMBB. Keep up with the Bonnies on Facebook /GoBonnies and on Instagram @GoBonnies.