ST. BONAVENTURE (9-5, 1-0 A-10) at GEORGE MASON (11-3, 0-1 A-10)
Wednesday, Jan. 8 - 7:00 p.m.
TV: Stadium | Radio: Bonnies Basketball Radio Network
Online Coverage: Live Stats | Live Video | Live Audio
Complete Game Notes (PDF)
BONNIES CONTINUE D.C. ROAD SWING AT MASON
- St. Bonaventure wraps up the second half of a back-to-back road swing outside Washington, D.C. by taking on George Mason Wednesday night.
- The Bonnies opened up Atlantic 10 play Sunday afternoon with a win at George Washington, 71-66, behind a career-high 20 points from Osun Osunniyi. He went 8-for-8 from the floor, adding nine rebounds and five blocks.
- Kyle Lofton filled the stat sheet with 17 points, eight assists and five rebounds, stretching his A-10 lead in assists per game (6.7 apg).
- The Bonnies are seeking their first 2-0 start in A-10 play since 2015-16 (4-0) when they beat Davidson at home and won at George Mason. Prior to that, their last 2-0 A-10 start was in 1999-2000.
- This week brought the first games of the new decade for the Bonnies. The 2010s were great to the program. The Bonnies went 187-125 (a .599 winning percentage), winning the Atlantic 10 title in 2012 and reaching the title game again in 2019. SBU earned an at-large NCAA Tournament bid and First Four win in 2018 following a share of the A-10 regular season league crown and NIT spot in 2016. In all, the Bonnies had four 20-win seasons and six straight years of 18+ victories.
The game will air live on Stadium. Watch online at the link below or in Western New York on TV through the following channels:
Verizon Fios (480)
- For the season, Kyle Lofton ranks 14th in the nation and third in the A-10 in assist-to-turnover ratio (2.94).
- Lofton leads the A-10 in assists per game (6.7 apg), total assists (94), minutes per game (38.5 mpg) and is second in free throw percentage (86.5%). He ranks in the top 20 nationally in assists, assist-to-turnover ratio and minutes.
- He has finished with six or more assists 16 times so far during his Bonaventure career.
- Lofton has played 36 or more minutes in 38 of 48 career games played and entered the year with the most minutes played last season of any returning A-10 player. He's played the full 40 seven times this year.
- In two games last week, he averaged 24.5 points, 8.0 assists and 5.0 rebounds while shooting 49 percent from the floor.
- Osun Osunniyi is averaging 2.8 blocks per game through the first 44 games of his Bonnies career. That would rank first overall in Bonnies program history – Bona's all-time blocks leader Caswell Cyrus averaged 2.5 blocks per game over his 114-game career between 1996-2000, finishing with 289 swats.
- With Osunniyi in the lineup, the Bonnies are +5.6 in rebounding margin, a total that would rank second in the A-10 behind only Saint Louis (+5.7).
- Despite missing five games and being limited in others while returning from injury, Osunniyi still ranks 31st in the country in total blocks this year (31). If eligible for the national rankings in blocks per game, his 3.1 would rank 13th among all D-I players
- Mason got off to a red-hot 11-1 start including a Cayman Islands Classic championship with wins over Old Dominion, Nebraska and New Mexico State. The Patriots are seeking to bounce back from back-to-back setbacks, though, at TCU and home vs. VCU Sunday.
- The Patriots rank sixth in the A-10 in points allowed (65.6 ppg), right behind SBU, and 11th in offense (68.9 ppg).
- Mason does well on the boards (+2.9 margin, fourth in the league) and is second in the A-10 in blocks (5.3 bpg).
- Mason finished non-conference with a NET ranking of 73.
PREGAME MEETING LOCATION
For fans in the area, the official meeting location pre-game is at Brion's Grille beginning at 5 p.m. The restaurant is located at 10621 Braddock Road in Fairfax.
For the latest news on St. Bonaventure athletics, stay connected on social media. Follow the Bonnies on Twitter @GoBonnies and get men's basketball updates @BonniesMBB. Keep up with the Bonnies on Facebook /GoBonnies and on Instagram @GoBonnies.