St. Bonaventure Starters: G Kyle Lofton, G Dominick Welch, G/F Courtney Stockard, F LaDarien Griffin, C Osun Osunniyi
Updated Records: St. Bonaventure 13-14 (9-5 Atlantic 10); Fordham 11-16 (2-12)
Keys To The Game:
- St. Bonaventure held Fordham to 36 percent shooting and connected on 11 three-pointers itself en route to a convincing win in the Bronx.
- The Bonnies led by 10 at halftime and started the second half hot, pushing the lead up to 19 by the 14:23 mark.
- Jalen Poyser came off the bench to score 20 points to lead six Bonnies who scored eight points or more. Both Osun Osunniyi and LaDarien Griffin grabbed 11 rebounds.
BRONX, N.Y. – St. Bonaventure rode superb defense and 20 points from Jalen Poyser to its fourth straight win, a 74-53 decision over Fordham on Saturday at Rose Hill Gym.
With the win, St. Bonaventure moved into a tie for fourth place in the Atlantic 10 standings with George Mason and Duquesne at 9-5. The Bonnies have four games left in the regular season, starting with a home game against Duquesne on Wednesday.
Poyser led the Bonnies' offense on Saturday, going 4-6 from long range and 8-12 overall on his way to his top point total in A-10 action. Courtney Stockard added 12 points, Dominick Welch scored 11, LaDarien Griffin and Kyle Lofton had nine apiece and Osun Osunniyi scored eight.
The day started slowly for the Bonnies, who fell behind 10-2 less than five minutes into the game. But the defense turned things around, as the Rams managed only 12 points the rest of the half. Fordham started 4-5 from the field but went only 5-23 after that prior to halftime.
Jalen Poyser came off the bench to give St. Bonaventure a much-needed lift, as he went 3-5 from three-point range and scored 13 points in the first half. The Bonnies made six three-pointers before halftime, right on their season average.
Senior Courtney Stockard capped the first half in dramatic style when he drained a three-pointer with one second left. His shot gave the Bonnies a 32-22 lead at intermission.
That momentum seemed to fuel the Bonnies at the start of the second half, as they pushed the lead up to 19 by the 14:23 mark. Griffin's three-point play at the 10:14 mark gave St. Bonaventure a 56-33 lead and the result was not in doubt from there.
The Bonnies played strong defense against Fordham's leading scorer Nick Honor, who finished with seven points -- nine below his season average.
- St. Bonaventure has now won five straight A-10 road games.
- The Bonnies have limited five of their last six opponents under 60 points and to less than 38 percent shooting overall.
- At 9-5, the Bonnies are now guaranteed of at least a .500 finish in the A-10, which is their fifth straight season at that level or better. One more will would be St.Bonaventure's fifth season in a row of double-digit conference wins
- Griffin's 11 rebounds are his season high.
Up Next: St. Bonaventure returns home to face Duquesne next Wednesday, Feb. 27, at the Reilly Center at 7 p.m.
- By Steve Mest, Associate Director of Athletics
St. Bonaventure basketball tickets are available via GoBonnies.com/tickets; by calling (716) 375-2500 or at the St. Bonaventure ticket office in the Reilly Center. For the latest news on St. Bonaventure athletics, stay connected on social media. Follow the Bonnies on Twitter @GoBonnies and get men's basketball updates @BonniesMBB. Keep up with the Bonnies on Facebook /GoBonnies and on Instagram @GoBonnies.
- Thanks to Fordham Athletics Communications for the game photos.