St. Bonaventure Starters: G Kyle Lofton, G Dominick Welch, G/F Courtney Stockard, F LaDarien Griffin, C Osun Osunniyi
Updated Records: St. Bonaventure 8-12 (4-3); Richmond 7-13 (1-6)
Three Keys To The Game:
- St. Bonaventure made crucial plays down the stretch, outscoring Richmond 12-4 over the game's final 3:20.
- Freshman point guard Kyle Lofton scored 21 points, his second 20-point game of the week, to lead the Bonnies.
- Freshman Osun Osunniyi had 11 points and 11 rebounds while Courtney Stockard scored 18 points and grabbed eight rebounds.
RICHMOND, Va. – St. Bonaventure made every crucial play it needed in the final three minutes and outlasted Richmond, 66-57, on Saturday at the Robins Center.
The Bonnies led 27-22 at halftime and were in front until the Spiders fought back to take a 48-47 lead with 6:43 remaining.
From there, the score remained close. It was a 54-53 Bona lead when Nelson Kaputo made a three-pointer from the corner in front of his team bench with 3:00 to play to give the Bonnies some breathing room.
Osun Osunniyi then blocked a shot by Richmond's Grant Golden, and on the other end of the court Osunniyi slammed home a lob pass from Courtney Stockard to extend the Bonnies' lead to 59-53 with 2:36 remaining.
The lead was four with 48 seconds left when LaDarien Griffin was fouled. He made two free throws to push the margin back up to six points at 63-57. Richmond missed two three-pointers after that.
Quotes From Coach Mark Schmidt
"In the past this year, we've questioned ourselves. Tonight we had some answers. It wasn't a great offensive game by any means, but we made plays when we needed to. And, we guarded them fairly well. It feels good to go 2-0 on the road this week, that's for sure."n't a great offensive game by any means, but we made plays when we needed to. And, we guarded them fairly well. It feels good to go 2-0 on the road this week, that's for sure."
- The win was the 200th in the St. Bonaventure career of coach Mark Schmidt. The milestone victory also moved Schmidt within two wins of tying Larry Weise for the most wins by a coach in program history.
- St. Bonaventure snapped a five-game losing skid at Richmond. The Bonnies' last win in the Robins Center was in 2009.
Up Next: St. Bonaventure is idle until next Friday, Feb. 1, when the Bonnies will host Davidson at the Reilly Center on ESPN2. Tipoff will be at 7 p.m.
- By Steve Mest, Associate Director of Athletics
St. Bonaventure basketball tickets are available via GoBonnies.com/tickets; by calling (716) 375-2500 or at the St. Bonaventure ticket office in the Reilly Center. For the latest news on St. Bonaventure athletics, stay connected on social media. Follow the Bonnies on Twitter @GoBonnies and get men's basketball updates @BonniesMBB. Keep up with the Bonnies on Facebook /GoBonnies and on Instagram @GoBonnies.