Game Preview: Richmond Spiders
Game Date: Saturday, Jan. 26
Time: 6:00 p.m.
Location: Richmond, Va. - Robins Center
St. Bonaventure 7-12 (3-3) | Richmond 7-12 (1-5)
Bonnies Stats | Richmond Stats
Radio: WPIG 95.7 FM with Gary Nease
Full Media Game Notes (PDF)
St. Bonaventure continues its two-game road trip with a visit to Richmond Saturday to face the Spiders in the only meeting this season between the teams. With an opportunity to move above .500 in the Atlantic 10, the Bonnies hope to sustain the momentum of their first road win of the year Wednesday at UMass. Head coach Mark Schmidt needs one win for his 200th with the program.
• St. Bonaventure has three freshmen in its projected starting lineup, the only Atlantic 10 to have that many freshmen starters. They combine to average 27.5 points per game.
• Kyle Lofton, who has started every game at point guard, is second among all Atlantic 10 freshmen in scoring (13.9 ppg) and assist-to-turnover ratio (77/43). He averages 38 minutes per game.
• Since moving into the starting lineup four games ago, freshman center Osun Osunniyi is playing the best basketball of his young career. The A-10 Rookie of the Week for the week ending Jan. 13, Osunniyi leads the A-10 and ranks 21st nationally in blocked shots (2.2 per game).
• Senior forward LaDarien Griffin missed 10 games with a knee sprain between Nov. 8 and Dec. 21, but has worked his way back into preseason form. He is averaging 13.5 ppg in A-10 play.
• Senior forward Courtney Stockard, who was named to the preseason All-Conference team, scored a career high 36 points last Saturday against Dayton. He is averaging 17 points, 6.4 rebounds and 3.0 assists per game.
St. Bonaventure vs. Richmond: The Last Meeting
March 9, 2018 at Capital One Arena: Bonnies 83, Richmond 77
Behind a record-setting shooting performance by Matt Mobley, St. Bonaventure outlasted Richmond, 83-77, on Friday to advance to the Atlantic 10 Championship semifinals. The Bonnies earned their 13th straight win, the second-longest winning streak in the country. Mobley scored 29 points as he broke the A-10 Tournament record for three-pointers in a game with nine. The all-conference senior guard was 9-12 from beyond the arc. St. Bonaventure built a 17-point lead early in the second half but had to hold off a furious Richmond rally in the final minutes. Twice in the final 1:21, the Spiders pulled within two points, the last time at 79-77 with 28 ticks left. After Jaylen Adams made one of two free throws, Richmond's Nick Sherrod missed a potential game-tying shot. Adams sealed the win with a pair of free throws. Courtney Stockard finished with 19 points and five assists while LaDarien Griffin had 17 points and 11 rebounds.
• The Spiders have lost three in a row and are 1-5 in the A-10 with their lone win coming at George Washington Jan. 12. Richmond is 4-6 at the Robins Center this season.
• Redshirt sophomore center Grant Golden, a preseason All-Conference selection, is third in the A-10 in scoring (18.1 ppg) and sixth in rebounding (7.0). Sophomore point guard Jacob Gilyard averages 15.6 points per game and leads the Atlantic 10 in steals with 54 (3.2 per game).
• Richmond lost guard Nick Sherrod to a season-ending knee injury on Nov. 25. Sherrod was averaging 12.7 points and 5.2 rebounds.
This will be the 26th meeting in a series that Richmond leads 17-8. The Bonnies won both meetings last season and three of the last four. However, St. Bonaventure has lost its past five trips to the Robins Center, last winning there in 2009.
Schmidt Eyes Win #200
Mark Schmidt stands second all-time on the program's all-time coaching wins list, just four wins behind NCAA Final Four coach Larry Weise. Now in his 12th season, he has 199 wins at St. Bonaventure. Schmidt, Weise and Jim Satalin are the only St. Bonaventure coaches with over 150 wins. Schmidt is the third-longest tenured coach in the Atlantic 10 behind Saint Joseph's Phil Martelli (now in his 23rd season) and Richmond's Chris Mooney (13th).
For the latest news on St. Bonaventure athletics, stay connected on social media. Follow the Bonnies on Twitter @GoBonnies and get men's basketball updates @BonniesMBB. Keep up with the Bonnies on Facebook /GoBonnies and on Instagram @GoBonnies.