St. Bonaventure Starters: G Kyle Lofton, G Nelson Kaputo, G/F Courtney Stockard, F LaDarien Griffin, C Osun Osunniyi
Updated Records: St. Bonaventure 6-10 (2-1); Fordham 9-7 (0-3)
Three Keys To The Game:
- St. Bonaventure held off a late rally by Fordham to earn its second straight win and improve to 2-1 in the Atlantic 10 Conference.
- The Bonnies dominated the first half, limiting the Rams to 15 points en route to a 16-point halftime lead, 31-15.
- Freshman center Osun Osunniyi posted his second straight double-double with 16 points and 12 rebounds; he was one of four Bonnies to finish in double figures.
ROCHESTER, N.Y. – Rochester has become a good luck charm for St. Bonaventure.
Saturday at Blue Cross Arena, the Bonnies earned their second win in a row with a 71-64 decision over Fordham. It was their sixth consecutive win at Blue Cross Arena.
The Bonnies led by as many as 21 points early in the second half but Fordham would not let the win come easily. Behind a 17-2 run, the Rams cut the Bonnies' edge down to 56-52 with 3:00 remaining.
With 30 seconds left, Fordham pulled to within five points on two Jalen Cobb free throws, but Griffin again sank a pair of free throws to keep the Bonnies in control. The Rams made two three-pointers in the last 11 seconds, but St. Bonaventure was 6-6 at the line over the final :30 to counteract that. Osun Osunniyi capped the win with a dunk.
The Bonnies were 22-27 at the free throw line for the game, their second-highest total of the season.
Osunniyi's double-double of 16 points and 12 rebounds was his second in as many games and third of his young career. The 6-10 center also had three blocks and three assists. Courtney Stockard and Griffin both scored 17 points while Kyle Lofton added 12.
- The Bonnies have now won six straight games in the series with Fordham. The teams will meet again Feb. 23 in the Bronx.
- Coach Mark Schmidt now has 198 wins in his career at St. Bonaventure, moving him within four wins of Larry Wiese on the all-time coaching wins list.
- All-time, St. Bonaventure is now 14-12 in games played at Blue Cross Arena, including a 2-0 mark against Fordham.
- Attendance was 4,914.
Up Next: St. Bonaventure will travel to Rhode Island to face the Rams next Wednesday, Jan. 16, at the Ryan Center. The game will feature a special 6 p.m. tipoff for CBS Sports Network's broadcast.
- By Steve Mest, Associate Director of Athletics
St. Bonaventure basketball tickets are available via GoBonnies.com/tickets; by calling (716) 375-2500 or at the St. Bonaventure ticket office in the Reilly Center. For the latest news on St. Bonaventure athletics, stay connected on social media. Follow the Bonnies on Twitter @GoBonnies and get men's basketball updates @BonniesMBB. Keep up with the Bonnies on Facebook /GoBonnies and on Instagram @GoBonnies.