St. Bonaventure Men's Basketball Game Preview: Jackson State Tigers
Game Date: Saturday, Nov. 10
Time: 2 p.m.
Location: Bob Lanier Court, Reilly Center
St. Bonaventure 0-1 | Jackson State 0-1
Radio: WPIG 95.7 FM with Gary Nease and Don Scholla
Full Media Game Notes (PDF)
St. Bonaventure returns to action Saturday afternoon hosting Jackson (Miss.) State in the second meeting between the schools in as many seasons. The Bonnies hope to wash away the sting of Wednesday's season-opening, overtime loss to Bucknell.
• The status of senior forward LaDarien Griffin, who left the Bucknell game with a knee injury, is uncertain. He was hurt 22 seconds into the overtime period. Sophomore Tshiefu Ngalakulondi would likely take on a larger role should Griffin not be able to play.
• St. Bonaventure's four freshmen all played significant time in the opener against Bucknell, with Kyle Lofton (18 points), Dominick Welch (13), Osun Osunniyi (8) and Alpha Okoli (1) combining for 40 points.
• In stark contrast to last year's very experienced team, this year's team has five players who have not played Division I basketball before this season -- the four freshmen and junior college transfer Melkisedek Moreaux.
• Junior guard Jalen Poyser scored 13 points with five rebounds and four assists Wednesday in his St. Bonaventure debut. He sat out last year after transferring from UNLV.
• After Saturday's game, the Bonnies will have only one day to prepare for their next game,
which is Monday night at Big 4 rival Niagara.
This will be the third meeting between the teams and second in as many seasons. The Bonnies won both of the prior two meetings.
St. Bonaventure vs. Jackson State: The Last Meeting
Nov. 18, 2018 at Reilly Center: Bonnies 72, Jackson State 58
Matt Mobley scored 27 points and Josh Ayeni tied his career high with 16 to lead St. Bonaventure. Mobley staked the Bonnies to an 11-0 lead to begin the game and St. Bonaventure went on to lead 39-26 at halftime. Just over four minutes into the second half, the Bonnies opened their largest lead of the game at 54-31. The margin stayed in double figures all the way until the last five minutes. Paris Collins' layup at the 4:59 mark capped an 8-2 surge that pulled the Tigers within seven points at 62-55. Idris Taqqee answered for St. Bonaventure, but Collins scored again to make it a 64-57 game with 3:24 remaining. After a missed shot by the Bonnies, Taqqee blocked Julian Dautry's drive, dove to corral the ball and called a timeout. Mobley drilled a three-pointer, his fifth of the game, on the ensuing possession to put St. Bonaventure in firm control at 67-57 with 1:47 left. Nelson Kaputo started again in place of injured Jaylen Adams. The Bonnies (1-1) also played without Courtney Stockard, who sat out with groin and hip strains.
Scouting Jackson State
• The Tigers fell to Louisiana-Monroe, 75-66, in their opener on Tuesday at home. Jackson State led 36-32 at halftime but was outscored 43-30 in the second half. Jayveous McKinnis led Jackson State with 16 points, six rebounds and three blocks. Chris Howell scored 15 points and grabbed and eight rebounds. Guard Jontrell Walker scored 11 points.
• Ten Jackson State players saw at least 11 minutes of action in the UL-Monroe game. The Tigers list 18 players on their roster, 10 of them upperclassmen.
• The Tigers were picked to finish eighth in the 10-team SWAC this season.
Monday, Nov. 12, the Bonnies travel to Niagara for a 7 p.m. tipoff.
Season tickets for St. Bonaventure men's basketball games are remain on sale. To order, call the SBU Ticket Office at (716) 375-2500 or visit GoBonnies.com/Tickets.
For the latest news on St. Bonaventure athletics, stay connected on social media. Follow the Bonnies on Twitter @GoBonnies and get men's basketball updates @BonniesMBB. Keep up with the Bonnies on Facebook /GoBonnies and on Instagram @GoBonnies.