Game Preview: Richmond Spiders
Date: Friday, March 9
Location: Washington, D.C. | Capital One Arena
Records (A-10 Tournament Seed)
St. Bonaventure 24-6 (2) | Richmond 12-19 (7)
Bonnies Statistics | Spiders Statistics
TV: NBC Sports Network
Radio: WPIG 95.7 FM with Gary Nease and Don Scholla
Complete Game Notes (PDF) | Atlantic 10 Championship Central
St. Bonaventure heads to our nation's capital as the No. 2 seed in the 2018 Atlantic 10 Championship. The Bonnies will face the winner of Thursday's quarterfinal game between Duquesne and Richmond on Friday, March 9, at 6:00.
• St. Bonaventure's 12-game win streak is tied for the second-longest in Division I behind Murray State's 13 straight wins. It also is the longest win streak for the program since the 1969-70 team won 13 in a row.
• The Bonnies' 24 wins set a new program record for most wins in the regular season.
In addition, St. Bonaventure has now won 20-plus games three seasons in a row – the first time that has happened for the Bonnies since a run of four 20-win seasons from 1958-61.
• Using the NCAA's new quadrant system of reviewing a team's season, St. Bonaventure is 3-2 in Quadrant 1 with wins over Rhode Island, Syracuse and Buffalo, 4-2 in Quadrant 2 with wins over Vermont, Maryland, Northeastern and Canisius, 7-1 in Quadrant 3 and 10-1 in Quadrant 4.
• St. Bonaventure is 21st in the NCAA's RPI (March 5), fifth-best among non-Power 5 teams.
• The Bonnies own three wins against top-50 RPI teams, including 15th-rated Rhode Island, and a total of six over top-70 RPI teams. In addition, St. Bonaventure's nine road wins set a team record. The Bonnies finished 9-4 in true road games, winning their final five road contests.
• The Bonnies' non-conference strength of schedule was 56 and they went 10-2 in those games, including 4-0 in road contests.
Head Coach Mark Schmidt
Overall Record: 272-240 (17th season)
At St. Bonaventure: 190-150 (11th season)
A-10 Tournament Record: 8-7 (won title in 2012)
Notable: Has led the Bonnies to three straight 20-win seasons and four straight years with 10-plus Conference wins ... could become first St. Bonaventure coach since Larry Weise ('68 and '70) to lead Bona to multiple NCAA appearances.
St. Bonaventure vs. Richmond: The Last Meeting
Feb. 10, 2018 at the Reilly Center: Bonnies 97, Spiders 88
Jaylen Adams and Matt Mobley each scored 24 points and five Bonnies in all reached double figures as St. Bonaventure topped Richmond on Homecoming weekend. St. Bonaventure led 51-42 at halftime but saw the Spiders come back at the start of the second half to grab a 58-55 lead. Richmond was leading 61-59 when Adams took over the game, scoring 10 straight points to put the Bonnies up 69-61. A three-pointer at the 9:30 mark capped Adams' personal run. Matt Mobley added a three-pointer at the 9:11 mark, pushing the lead to 72-61 and bringing the sellout crowd to its feet. After that point, the Spiders were not able to come any closer than six points as the Bonnies fended off multiple chances. It was down to an 82-77 margin but Mobley scored on a drive and then Adams fed sophomore center Amadi Ikpeze for a dunk. Two free throws by Adams with 1:07 put the Bonnies in control at 88-77.
A-10 Championship History
This year, St. Bonaventure has earned its highest-ever seed in the Atlantic 10 Championship at No. 2 (in years where there were not East and West divisions). The Bonnies are 20-32 all-time in the A-10 tournament, with a mark of 11-4 as a higher seed. Their lone title came in 2012 in Atlantic City.
For the latest news on St. Bonaventure athletics, stay connected on social media. Follow the Bonnies on Twitter @Go_Bonnies and get men's basketball updates @BonniesMBB. Keep up with the Bonnies on Facebook /GoBonnies and on Instagram @GoBonnies.