St. Bonaventure Men's Basketball Game Preview: La Salle Explorers
St. Bonaventure visits the City of Brotherly Love on Tuesday for its only meeting of the season with La Salle. Winners of six in a row, the Bonnies hope to sustain the momentum of the past three weeks into the stretch run of the season.
• Thanks to its second-longest win streak of the season, St. Bonaventure has moved into a tie for second place in the Atlantic 10 with Davidson.
• The Bonnies' six straight A-10 wins are their longest such run under coach Mark Schmidt and best for the program since the 1982-83 team also won six conference games in a row.
• Senior point guard Jaylen Adams became the first Division I player to post back-to-back 40 point games since 2014 with his 40 points at Duquesne Feb. 3 and 44 against Saint Louis Feb. 7. He set the school record with 10 three-pointers against the Billikens. Over the two games, Adams made 18 of 26 (.692) three-point shots. He is the first Bonnies player to record back-to-back 40 point games since Bob Lanier in February 1969.
• Adams and Matt Mobley form one of the top backcourts in the country. The seniors combine to average 38.2 points per game and shoot .424 from three-point range.
• Mobley was named A-10 Player of the Week for the period ending Feb. 4 after he averaged 27 points over two wins, topped by a career high 35 points at George Mason.
• He may not score often, but do not underestimate the contributions of senior swingman Idris Taqqee. A veteran of 114 career games, he is averaging 5.4 points and 4.8 rebounds a game. Taqqee also is a key to the Bonnies' improved defense.
• Junior forward LaDarien Griffin is one of the most improved players in the Atlantic 10. Last season, he averaged 2.7 points and 2.2 rebounds; this year, Griffin has started 23 games and is at 8.8 points and 6.5 rebounds. He has four double-doubles.}
• Courtney Stockard missed the last two seasons due injuries, leaving his career in doubt. He persevered, though, and the redshirt junior is averaging 11 points and 6.2 rebounds per game.
• Sophomore center Amadi Ikpeze made his second start of the year Feb. 10 against Richmond and was productive, scoring 12 points and grabbing a season high eight rebounds in 26 minutes.• This game is sold out, the first sellout of the season at the Reilly Center.
La Salle Notes:
• The Explorers lost their last two games, both on the road, at GW (80-69) and Saint Louis (70-62). LaSalle is 8-2 at home and 2-13 away from Gola Arena.
•Senior forward B.J. Johnson is the A-10's leading scorer, averaging 21.1 points per game. He is also fourth in the A-10 in rebounding (8.2). Junior point guard Pookie Powell is ninth in the A-10 in both scoring (17.1) and assists (4.2). Sophomore swingman Isaih Deas averages 10.3 ppg while senior guard Amar Stukes is at 8.2 ppg.
This will be the 32nd meeting in a series that La Salle leads 17-14. The Explorers won two of the last three regular season meetings, and the Bonnies have lost their last three games at Gola Arena. St. Bonaventure's last win in Philadephia was 2010.
St. Bonaventure basketball tickets are available via GoBonnies.com/tickets; by calling (716) 375-2500 or in person at the St. Bonaventure ticket office in the Reilly Center between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. For the latest news on St. Bonaventure athletics, stay connected on social media. Follow the Bonnies on Twitter @Go_Bonnies and get men's basketball updates @BonniesMBB. Keep up with the Bonnies on Facebook /GoBonnies and on Instagram @GoBonnies.