St. Bonaventure Men's Basketball Game Preview: Maryland Terrapins
Date: Friday, Nov. 24
Time: 9:30 ET
Location: Niceville, Fla. | The Arena at Northwest Florida State College
St. Bonaventure 2-1 | Maryland 5-0
Bonnies Statistics | Terrapins Statistics
TV: CBS Sports Network
Radio: WPIG 95.7 FM with Gary Nease
Complete Game Notes (PDF)
Friday night in Niceville, Fla., St. Bonaventure takes on its biggest challenge of the young season when it faces Maryland in the Emerald Coast Classic. The Bonnies won their last two games to get to 2-1 while the Terps are unbeaten at 5-0 and received votes in both top 25 polls this week.
• The Bonnies are 2-1 despite Jaylen Adams missing the first three games of the year due to a sprained left ankle. Already one of the most accomplished players in the program's history, the two-time first team All-Conference selection is on the preseason watch list for three national player of the year awards, the Wooden Award, the Oscar Robertson Award and the Naismith Trophy.
• Matt Mobley, the other half of the Bonnies' dynamic duo in the backcourt, has certainly done his part to fill the void. Mobley is averaging 25 points, 5.3 rebounds and 5.3 assists per game and shooting 44 percent from three-point range. Like Adams, Mobley was named to the Atlantic 10's preseason first team All-Conference.
• Nelson Kaputo has made three starts at point guard again in Adams' place. Kaputo is averaging 11 points per game.
• Junior forward LaDarien Griffin is making the most of his opportunity to start for the first time in his career. The Jacksonville, Fla., native recorded the first double-double of his career with 10 points and 10 rebounds in 36 minutes of action against Niagara, had five points and nine rebounds in the win over Jackson State and tied his career best with 11 points against UMES.
• The freshman duo, Izaiah Brockington and Tshiefu Ngalakulondi, have performed well in the early going. They combined for 39 points against Maryland Eastern Shore and are a combined 8-12 from three-point range for the season.
• Now in his 11th season at the helm, Coach Mark Schmidt got the 250th win of his career on Nov. 20 with the victory over Maryland Eastern Shore. Schmidt led the Bonnies to consecutive 20-win seasons the past two years, and he stands second on the program's wins list with 168.to consecutive 20-win seasons the past two years, and he stands second on the program's coaching wins list with 167.
• This will be the first meeting between the schools.
• Maryland is off to a 5-0 start with win over Stony Brook, Maryland Eastern Shore, Butler, Bucknell and Jackson State. The Terrapins' last four games were played on their home floor, the XFINITY Center. Maryland received votes in both the AP and Coaches Top 25 polls this week.
• The Terps field a distinctly Big 10-looking roster with eight players standing 6-7 or taller. That has translated into a +17 rebounding margin and a .528 field goal percentage.
• Point guard Anthony Cowan is Maryland's leading scorer at 14.6 points per game. He also leads the Terps in assists with 20. Sophomore forward Kevin Huerter averages 12.4 points per game and has 18 assists, while classmate Justin Jackson is at 8.0 points per game. That trio makes up Maryland's heralded sophomore class that enjoyed a strong year last season.
• Maryland also featuers two freshmen contributors, 6-10 forward Bruno Fernando (11.4 ppg) and guard Darryl Morsell (8.6 ppg). Morsell graduated from Mount St. Joseph high school in Baltimore, which is Jaylen Adams' alma mater.
St. Bonaventure basketball tickets are available via GoBonnies.com/tickets; by calling (716) 375-2500 or in person at the St. Bonaventure ticket office in the Reilly Center between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. For the latest news on St. Bonaventure athletics, stay connected on social media. Follow the Bonnies on Twitter @Go_Bonnies and get men's basketball updates @BonniesMBB. Keep up with the Bonnies on Facebook /GoBonnies and on Instagram @GoBonnies.