Location: Davidson, N.C. | Belk Arena
The Short Story
St. Bonaventure twice rallied from double-digit second half deficits but came up just short on Tuesday night, falling 68-63 to Davidson at Belk Arena.
The Bonnies were within three with under a minute to go but missed a shot and then turned the ball over on their next possession.
St. Bonaventure was undone partly by free throw shooting – a strength all season long – as the Bonnies went 14-24 at the line. The Bonnies' 63 points are their third-lowest total in a game this season.
Playing in his final home game for Davidson, senior guard Jack Gibbs led all scorers with 29 points.
How It Happened:
- Sparked by Senior Night, Davidson got off to a hot start, making six of its first eight shots en route to a 19-10 lead by the 12:12 mark.
- The Bonnies fell behind 23-12 as they made just four of their first 19 shots of the night.
- It was 26-12 when the Bonnies rallied with 10 straight points to close to 26-22. Matt Mobley capped the surge with a drive at the 3:21 mark.
- LaDarien Griffin came off the bench to help spark the comeback with four points and two blocks.
- Jack Gibbs made a three-pointer but Josh Ayeni and Jaylen Adams scored to bring St. Bonaventure within 29-26 at halftime.
- The second half began much like the first, as Gibbs scored 10 points to push the Wildcats' lead up to 41-30 four minutes into the half.
- Davidson still led by 11 when the Bonnies got back-to-back scores inside from Ayeni. After a Wildcat score, Nelson Kaputo made a three-pointer to pull St. Bonaventure to 47-41.
- It was a 58-49 game when Mobley scored consecutive field goals to make it a five-point game at 58-53.
- Davidson went up 64-56 with 2:56 left but Mobley made a three-pointer and then
- St. Bonaventure pulled within 64-61 on two Adams free throws with 2:08 left but could never take the lead. The Bonnies missed a shot and turned the ball over once.
- Neither team scored again until there were 11 seconds left and the Bonnies were forced to foul. Gibbs made two free throws to essentially seal the outcome.
- Adams made a layup, but Davidson made two free throws with six seconds left.
Up Next: St. Bonaventure will complete the regular season this Saturday, March 4, at home against UMass. Game time will be 4 p.m.
To purchase St. Bonaventure basketball tickets visit www.GoBonnies.com/tickets or phone (716) 375-2500.
For the latest news on St. Bonaventure athletics, stay connected on social media. Follow the Bonnies on Twitter @Go_Bonnies and get men's basketball updates @BonniesMBB. Keep up with the Bonnies on Facebook /GoBonnies and on Instagram @GoBonnies.