ST. BONAVENTURE, N.Y. - The St. Bonaventure baseball team returns to home turf this weekend to host Rhode Island in a return to Atlantic 10 action. The four-game series will take place at Fred Handler Park at McGraw-Jennings Field Friday (one nine inning game), Saturday (two seven inning games) and Sunday (one nine inning game), weather permitting.
The Bonnies, who did not play conference games last weekend, stand 4-8 in the A-10 North Division while Rhode Island is 5-3. La Salle (9-3) and Saint Joseph's (8-4) currently sit in the top two spots which would advance to the Atlantic 10 Tournament.
Twelve games remain on the A-10 schedule for the Bonnies with three conference weekend series remaining. In addition to this week, the Bonnies will travel to UMass next week before welcoming Fordham for the final conference series.
Fan attendance for the spring semester on campus at St. Bonaventure University is limited to SBU students, faculty and staff, and two family members per home athlete. Visiting team parents and fans are not permitted on campus.
Sunday - 12:00 p.m.
BONNIES SHORT HOPS
- Ben Berger enters the weekend leading the team with a .350 batting average. It has been a breakout season so far for the redshirt freshman outfielder as he has started 15 of 17 games this year after starting just six career games entering this season.
- Tyler Kelder smacked his seventh home run of the season and 25th of his career last weekend. With that round-tripper, Kelder moved into fourth place in program history for career bombs, breaking a tie with Tom Tegeler '95. Only Brian Pellegrini '07 (48 HR), Mike Rapacioli '03 (31) and Joe Rizzo '07 (30) have hit more homers in a Bonnies uniform.
- Brendyn Stillman cranked his first two homers of the season last weekend. The redshirt junior outfielder has been hitting more balls solid in recent games, without a ton to show for it prior to last weekend. With those two homers, though, he now has 10 RBIs on the season after hitting six homers a year ago in seven games.
- Kyle Caringi continues to be Bona's most reliable reliever in his first full collegiate season. The redshirt freshman holds a team-best 2.74 ERA in 23.0 innings of work over 10 outings this spring.
- Caringi leads the team with a 1.50 ERA in A-10 play, making six appearances in conference games this year. Elijah Baez ranks second on the staff in A-10 ERA, posting a 2.20 ERA in three A-10 starts.
- This weekend presents an opportunity for Bona to move up in the divisional standings: While Rhode Island is third in the North Division standings at 5-3, the top two teams, Saint Joseph's and La Salle, play each other in a four-game set.
- Redshirt senior left-hander Donovan Moffat enters the weekend with 78 career appearances on the hill. He is just two outings away from becoming only the second Bonnies pitcher in program history to appear in 80 games - the all-time leader in SBU appearances is Cory Sudbrook '10 with 84.
RHODE ISLAND NOTES
- URI is 17-19-1 overall on the year and 5-3 in A-10 play and looking to snap a three-game losing streak. The Rams are 10-2 at home, but have posted a 7-17-1 mark on the road.
- The Rams took perhaps the longest non-conference trip of the year in the A-10 this past weekend, traveling to Tempe, Arizona for a three-game series at Arizona State. URI lost all three games, but battled the Sun Devils in each game - a 9-6 setback in game one, 8-6 in game two and a 14-13 slugfest in last Sunday's finale.
- Rhody is hitting .252 as a team with 17 home runs and a .363 team slugging percentage. Sonny Ulliana paces the team with a .324 batting average in 111 at-bats while Xavier Vargas has been one of the A-10's top power bats with eight home runs.
- The Rams have a 4.88 team ERA for the year with solid work out of starters Ryan Twitchell (2-1, 2.63, 54.2 IP), Mike Webb (4-1, 3.50, 64.1 IP) and Trystan Levesque (3-1, 4.21, 25.2 IP).
Stay connected with St. Bonaventure athletics through social media. Follow the Bonnies on Twitter @GoBonnies and get baseball updates @BonniesBaseball. Keep up with the Bonnies on Facebook /GoBonnies and on Instagram @GoBonnies.