Box Score (PDF)
ST. LOUIS – A six-run sixth inning and strong work out of the bullpen propelled the St. Bonaventure baseball team to an 8-5 win to open an Atlantic 10 series at Saint Louis Friday night.
With the win, the Bonnies improve to 8-17 overall and 4-6 in the Atlantic 10 while the defending A-10 champion and preseason conference favorite Billikens drop to 13-19 overall and 2-5 in conference play.
The Billikens grabbed an early lead, 2-0, with a run each in the first and second innings and that edge would last until the fourth.
Bona tied the score in its fourth trip to the plate with some two-out work.
Jeff Palczewski drew a two-out walk, then moved to second on a single up the middle from Kevin Higgins. After another walk to Branden Myers, Kevin Koziol punched a single through the hole on the left side to even things at 2-2.
A two-run blast from the Billikens put the hosts back ahead, 4-2, in the fifth, but the Bonnies would soon answer.
St. Bonaventure batted around in the sixth and plated six runs to surge ahead.
Palczewski started the rally by cracking his first home run as a Bonnie with a blast to left, leading off the frame. Later in the inning, Matthew Williams and Brandon Henshaw both worked bases loaded walks to first tie and then take the lead. Then, Foden pushed the Bonnies ahead with a bases-clearing double to right center for a four-run advantage.
That would be enough for the Bonnies pitching staff.
Sophomore right-hander Braydon Nelson got the start and picked up the win to move to 2-2 on the year with seven strikeouts in five innings of work. Moffat worked the final four innings for his second save, allowing just one run on four hits with two strikeouts.
Due to rain in the forecast later in the weekend, the teams are set to finish the series Saturday with a doubleheader scheduled for 1 p.m. central time.
- Foden continued his recent hot streak, hitting .368 during the month of April. He also homered and drove in three runs in a win Tuesday at Niagara.
- Nelson has struck out six or more batters in five of his seven starts this year. He entered the weekend ranking 10th in the Atlantic 10 in strikeouts per nine innings.
- Williams doubled to go along with his bases loaded walk.
- Palczewski went 2-for-3 with two runs and two walks.
- Higgins and Palczewski each posted their sixth multi-hit games of the year.
- Moffat lowered his A-10 ERA in 2.04 in 17.2 innings of work this season.
Stay connected with St. Bonaventure athletics through social media. Follow the Bonnies on Twitter @GoBonnies and get baseball updates @BonniesBaseball. Keep up with the Bonnies on Facebook /GoBonnies and on Instagram @GoBonnies.