ST. BONAVENTURE vs. CANISIUS
Sunday, May 6 – 12:00 p.m. (DH)
Fred Handler Park
Online Coverage – Live Stats
SCHEDULE UPDATE: Sunday will be a doubleheader as originally planned.
- St. Bonaventure meets Little Three rival Canisius to finish up a three-game non-conference series after Canisius grabbed game one, 11-0, Friday night in Buffalo.
- Ryan MacCarrick had the lone extra base hit for the Bonnies on Friday night, posting a double.
- Nelson struck out two of the three batters he retired, giving him a team-high 43 strikeouts in 46.2 innings of work in his collegiate debut this spring.
- Three pitchers likely to get work in Sunday's games: sophomore lefty Donovan Moffat, redshirt sophomore right-hander James Wetter and senior right-hander Roman Wild. Moffat leads the team with 16 appearances on the season while Wetter and Wild have each thrown in 14 games. Moffat worked in a program season-high 28 games a season ago.
- Redshirt junior Ben Contento was forced to miss his last turn in the rotation due to injury, but has a team-best 10.06 strikeouts per nine innings over his 34.0 innings of work this season, fanning 38 batters. In the modern record book history of Bonnies baseball dating to 1985, only five players have totaled better than 10 strikeouts per nine innings with the last being Billy Urban in 2013 (10.23).
- MacCarrick needs seven more hits to reach 100 for his Bonnies career. The senior from Orchard Park, who played his first two seasons of collegiate baseball at Erie Community College, has 93 hits in two seasons with the Brown and White and a .293 batting average.
The Golden Griffs enter the weekend with a 25-18 record on the season and a 12-6 mark in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference. As a team, the Griffs are hitting .277 led by the .371 mark of Liam Wilson who also has smacked eight home runs and driven in 40 runs. Conner Morro also hits .359 while Ryan Stekl has team highs in home runs (nine) and RBIs (48). The Griffs have a team ERA of 4.35 led by ace J.P. Stevenson (8-1, 2.32) who picked up the win with six scoreless innings Friday night.
The Bonnies will finish up their home schedule with a three-game series next Friday and Saturday in Atlantic 10 action against Saint Louis. The Bonnies will play a two against the league-leading Billikens on Friday and then will honor their seniors following the series finale on Saturday.
Stay connected with St. Bonaventure athletics through social media. Follow the Bonnies on Twitter @Go_Bonnies and get baseball updates @BonniesBaseball. Keep up with the Bonnies on Facebook /GoBonnies and on Instagram @GoBonnies.