Final Score: Villanova 6 – St. Bonaventure 4
Location: Port Charlotte, Fla.
Records: St. Bonaventure 2-2 | Villanova 5-8
St. Bonaventure Starters: Cole Peterson (SS), Thad Johnson (3B), Tyler Walter (1B), Dylan Dunn (C), Bret Heath (RF), Tyler Bell (RF), Tyler Kirwan (2B), Aaron Phillips (LF), John Novenche (DH), Drew Teller (P)
The Short Story:
The St. Bonaventure baseball team opened up its second stint in Florida with a loss on Saturday as they fell to the Villanova Wildcats by a score of 6-4.
The Bonnies jumped out to a three-run lead after the bottom of the second as the squad notched four runs off two hits. Villanova continued to claw its way back into the game as they would go on to score a run in the seventh and two in the eighth to give them its first lead since the second inning. The Wildcats added an insurance run in the ninth and held off St. Bonaventure in the ninth to earn the two-run victory.
In his first appearance as a member of the Brown and White, John Novenche went 2-3 at the plate. Both hits were singles. Novenche and Thad Johnson were the only two hitters for the Bonnies to record a multi-hit game.
Starting the mound for the Bonnies was Junior Drew Teller, who threw 5.2 innings, while allowing five hits and two runs, but earned a strikeout.
Freshman Nate Grant picked up the loss for SBU.
How It Happened:
- The Wildcats struck first in the game as Donovan May scored from third base as Tyler Kirwan muffed the ball and allowed the Kevin Jewitt reach first on an error.
- To begin the bottom of the second inning, the catcher, Dylan Dunn reached base with a single. After a Bret Heath out, St. Bonaventure earned three-straight walks that forced Dunn to touch home for the Bonnies' first run of the game.
- With two outs on the board and bases loaded for Cole Peterson, the shortstop collected the fourth walk of the inning for the Brown and White, which scored Tyler Bell from third.
- Thad Johnson notched two RBIs in the bottom of the second with bases loaded with a single that drove in Aaron Phillips and Tyler Kirwan.
- Villanova would respond as Donovan May hit a lead-off homer.
- The game slowed down through the fourth to the sixth inning as neither team scored a run.
- In the seventh, Villanova began its comeback as it scored its third run of the game on a passed ball by the SBU catcher.
- The Wildcats completed the comeback in the eighth with a one-out single by Todd Czinege that scored May and Adam Goss.
- Villanova added an insurance run in the top of the ninth after a wild pitch that scored Eric Lowe from second.
- St. Bonaventure threatened the Wildcats in the bottom night with two men on and two outs, but Dunn popped up to the shortstop to end the game.
Beyond the Box Score:
- John Novenche, Reid Van Woert and Reston Pettit all say their first action as a member of the Bonnies on Saturday.
- Thad Johnson is hitting .444 to begin the season as he has eight hits in 18 plate appearances. The junior has two RBIs.
The Bonnies will begin a three-game series against Lehigh on Sunday, March 8 in Port Charlotte, Fla. Lehigh is currently 2-2 on the season after splitting a four-game series with Iona.