The mission of the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics at St. Bonaventure University is to complement and supplement the overall mission of the University with the utmost integrity through adherence to NCAA and conference bylaws. The intercollegiate program is committed to mentoring all student-athletes and enriching their intellectual, spiritual, and physical growth and development. The program strives to provide competitive opportunities to a diverse range of student-athletes at the conference, regional, and national levels while maintaining fiscal responsibility. The Department engenders support for the University among many constituents including students, faculty, alumni, friends, and local communities.
The Department of Intercollegiate Athletics is nationally recognized for the academic and athletic excellence of its student-athletes and their collective commitment to fair play and sportsmanship embodied in the University's Franciscan heritage. The sports programs are competitive in the Atlantic 10 Conference as evidenced by their ability to consistently compete for conference tournament play and championships. The Department is a source of pride on campus, in local communities, and among St. Bonaventure Alumni not only because of its storied traditions, but also as a result of its commitment to excellence, emphasis on the University's core values, and its enhanced contribution to the University's success and vision.
Department Of Athletics Goals & Objectives
GOAL #1: Commitment to Education
All student-athletes should graduate. This goal will be achieved by:
- Maintenance of a Student-Athlete Academic Support Center.
- Educational and developmental programs.
- Support and assistance from the University academic community.
GOAL #2: Commitment to Compliance
The program must be operated with strict respect for, and adherence to, all rules and regulations of governing agencies. This goal will be achieved by:
- A comprehensive rules education program.
- External reviews.
- Utilization of an NCAA self-reporting process.
- Educational seminars.
GOAL #3: Commitment to Athletic Excellence
Empower our student-athletes to reach their full athletic potential. This goal will be achieved by:
- Providing our teams with the necessary financial resources.
- Recruiting and mentoring student-athletes who possess the ability to succeed at the NCAA Division I level.
- Employing and developing coaches and staff who will mentor our student-athletes in their pursuit of success.
- Providing our teams with facilities comparable to competitor institutions.
GOAL #4: Commitment to Student-Athlete Welfare
The Department of Athletics will mentor student-athletes to ensure that their experience at St. Bonaventure is a positive one and that they leave here prepared to make a responsible contribution to our world. This goal will be achieved by:
- Protecting the health of and provide a safe environment for all student-athletes.
- Ensuring that coaches, staff and student-athletes exhibit fairness, openness, honesty and sportsmanship.
- Maintaining an environment that values cultural diversity and gender equity.
- Continually providing current Life Skills programs that assist student-athletes' personal and career development.
GOAL #5: Commitment to Service
All student-athletes, coaches and staff will actively participate in service and outreach programs. This goal will be achieved by:
- Active programming designed by athletics department staff.
- Coordination of activities and projects with the local, regional and University communities.
- The leadership and attitude displayed by coaches and staff.
GOAL #6: Commitment to Community
The Department of Athletics will strive to enhance the image and reputation of the University. This goal will be achieved by:
- Fostering an environment of openness and welcoming to all publics.
- Our student-athletes and coaches will be ambassadors for the University through their words and deeds.
- Fostering a sense of shared loyalty from alumni, students, fans, and the community.
- Positive exposure through working with the media.
- Providing a venue for people to gather for positive entertainment.