- FEATURE STORY: Bonnies Student-Athletes Are Building The Foundation For Success
St. Bonaventure student-athletes have earned an incredible amount of success in the classroom over the past decade. By percentage, St. Bonaventure student-athletes are among the most successful in the Atlantic 10 and continue to replicate that success semester after semester.
Excellence in the Classroom
- St. Bonaventure student-athletes (as of the Spring 2020 semester) have produced a cumulative GPA of over 3.0 for 30 straight semesters – a run of 15 consecutive years.
- All 17 St. Bonaventure Division I teams produced a GPA of better than 3.2 during the Spring 2020 semester.
- 82 percent of Bonaventure student-athletes have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- 70 percent of SBU student-athletes achieved a Spring 2020 semester GPA of 3.5 or better to earn a spot on the University Dean's List.
- Over 200 student-athletes were named to the Atlantic 10 Commissioner’s Honor Roll in Spring 2019 after having a cumulative GPA for the year of 3.0 or better. That number was better than the Atlantic 10 member average despite St. Bonaventure being the second smallest A-10 member by enrollment.
Graduation Success Rate
- St. Bonaventure University student-athletes have a graduation success rate of 93%.
- In all sponsored sports at St. Bonaventure, the success rate is higher than the national average.
Women's basketball, women's cross country, golf, women's lacrosse and women's track all earned perfect 1,000 multiyear scores in the NCAA Academic Progress (APR) data released in 2019. The APR measures eligibility, graduation and retention each term and provides a clear picture of the academic performance for each team in every sport.
Three additional programs – men's soccer (996), softball (996) and women's soccer (996) also ranked extremely well and narrowly missed the top 10 percent cutoff.
- St. Bonaventure women’s basketball has ranked in the national GPA Top 25 for three of the past five years and 10 times since 2002-03.
- Women’s swimming earned the top GPA in the Atlantic 10 for the sport and ranked 15th in all of Division I at 3.57 during the Fall 2016 semester.
Coaching and Association Awards
- Both men’s and women’s tennis earned recognition from the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) as All-Academic Teams for 2018-19, having team GPAs above 3.20.
- Men’s and women’s swimming diving were both honored by the College Swimming and Diving Coaches Association of America (CSCAA) as Scholar All-America Teams. It marked the sixth straight year Bonnies swimming has been honored in at least one semester. Men’s swimming had a cumulative GPA of 3.230.
- Women’s lacrosse was cited by the Intercollegiate Women’s Lacrosse Coaches Association (IWLCA) as one of the organization’s Honor Squads for the 2016-17 academic year with a cumulative GPA of 3.214.
News and Recent Accomplishments
- GENERAL: St. Bonaventure Graduating Student-Athletes Rake In Awards at Honors Ceremony
- MSWIM: Bonnies Rank in Top 20 of National GPA Ranks
- WSWIM: Bonnies Earn Scholar All-America Team Honors
- WSOC: St. Bonaventure Women's Soccer Honored With United Soccer Coaches Academic Award
- WXC: St. Bonaventure's Izydorczak Selected To Represent Atlantic 10 at NCAA Leadership Forum
- MSOC: St. Bonaventure Men's Soccer Receives United Soccer Coaches Academic Team Award