The St. Bonaventure University Department of Justice Campus Program collaborated with Bonnies student-athletes to participate in a virtual exercise challenge during the month of April for Sexual Assault Awareness Month.
Through the project, Bonnies pledged over 1.5 million exercise yards – with every increment of 10,000 yards equaling over five and a half miles of walking or running.
Yards for Yeardley was started in December 2014 by student-athletes on the Boston College and University of Virginia lacrosse teams to support The One Love Foundation, whose mission is to end relationship abuse by educating young people about healthy and unhealthy relationships. The organization was founded by Sharon and Lexie Love in honor of their daughter and sister Yeardley, a lacrosse player at the University of Virginia who was killed in an act of relationship violence.
Several SBU Department of Justice Campus Program Coordinated Community Response Team members were trained to facilitate One Love Organization programing in November of 2019. Since then, the Department of Justice Campus program and student group EMPOWER have hosted six in-person and virtual programs to educate the Bonaventure campus community on the dangers of relationship violence.
St. Bonaventure student-athletes who offered to count their exercise yards in honor of Yeardley Love are (10,000 yards equaling approximately 5.6 miles):
- Abby Borkowski, Sophomore, Softball, 90,000 Yards
- Morgan Brady, Freshman, Women's Cross Country/Track, 125,200 Yards
- Logan Caruso, Sophomore, Men's Cross Country/Track, 304,480 Yards
- Julia Davidson, Junior, Women's Lacrosse, 40,000 Yards
- Will Delaney, Senior, Men's Cross Country/Track, 50,000 Yards
- Ben Garcia, Freshman, Men's Lacrosse, 40,000 Yards
- Kyle Haller, Senior, Men's Cross Country/Track, 52,800 Yards
- Brooke Kane-Walker, Senior, Softball, 52,800 Yards
- Caroline Paterno, Sophomore, Women's Lacrosse, 90,878 Yards
- Elena Rohr, Senior, Women's Swimming and Diving, 16,000 Yards
- Claire Schaef, Sophomore, Women's Swimming and Diving, 88,000 Yards
- Christine Walsh, Senior, Women's Cross Country/Track, 279,840 Yards
Two SBU staff members also dedicated yards:
- Dr. Jennifer Karash-Eastman, Department of Justice Campus Program Coordinator, 125,000 Yards
- Hope Thomas, Athletic Academic Coordinator, 272,307 Yards
For more information on the effort, visit https://www.joinonelove.org/act/yards-for-yeardley/