Box Score (PDF)
DAYTON, Ohio – A high-flying second quarter from Dayton set the tone Wednesday night at UD Arena as the Flyers captured an 80-59 victory over the St. Bonaventure women's basketball team.
Senior Mariah Ruff, this week's Co-Atlantic 10 Player of the Week, led the way for the Brown and White with 24 points while sophomore Jalisha Terry and junior Arielle Harvey each tallied double-figure scoring with 12 points apiece.
Dayton improves to 11-4 overall and 4-0 in Atlantic 10 competition while St. Bonaventure stands at 6-11, 1-3.
After a back-and-forth first seven minutes, St. Bonaventure moved ahead thanks to a 7-0 run to end the first quarter for a 19-14 advantage.
Momentum swung in the direction of the Flyers, though, as the hosts owned the second quarter.
Dayton got red-hot from long distance, going 6-for-8 from beyond the arc during the second quarter while shooting nearly 71 percent (12-for-17) in all from the field over the period. A 31-11 margin during the second quarter in favor of the Flyers gave the defending A-10 champions a 45-30 advantage heading to intermission.
The Bonnies remained even with the Flyers through the third quarter, but could not get the deficit lower than 14 after Dayton's stellar run before halftime.
Freshman Emily Calabrese contributed eight rebounds and six points for St. Bona.
Four Flyers reached double-figures in a balanced scoring attack led by Jayla Scaife's 18 points as part of a double-double effort that included 10 rebounds. Jenna Burdette added 15.
Dayton's proficiency from distance helped the Flyers pull away – the hosts shot 10-for-28 on 3-point attempts for the night.
St. Bonaventure remains on the road for its next contest, traveling to La Salle for a Saturday afternoon contest slated to tip off at 1 p.m. in Philadelphia.
- St. Bonaventure entered the day leading the Atlantic 10 and ranking 17th in the nation while allowing opponents to shoot just over 26 percent from long distance this season prior to Wednesday's game.
- The Bonnies had previously allowed 10 or more 3s to an opponent just twice this season.
- Terry posted double-figure scoring for the fourth time this season and second in the past three games.
- Fresh off her career high of eight assists in Saturday's win over UMass, Terry handed out a team-best four assists Wednesday.
- Ruff has posted 20-plus points in three straight games and is averaging 22 points per game in Atlantic 10 play.
- The Bonnies shot at a 38 percent clip (24-for-63) while Dayton finished at 47 percent (33-for-69).