ST. BONAVENTURE, N.Y. – The St. Bonaventure women's basketball team welcomes former Atlantic 10 conference member Charlotte 49ers for a WNIT match-up on Friday, March 21 at the Reilly Center.
Opponent: Charlotte 49ers
Date: Friday, March 21, 2014
Time: 7:00 p.m.
Location: Bob Lanier Court at the Reilly Center
St. Bonaventure Record: 23-10 | 11-5 A-10
Stats | Game Notes
Charlotte Record: 15-15 | 9-7 C-USA
Live Stats | Video
Last Time Out (Atlantic 10 Championship):
St. Bonaventure finished the 2013-14 regular season with a record of 22-9, and earned the second seed in the 2014 Atlantic 10 Championship. In their first game, the Bonnies faced familiar foe in La Salle, who they played less than a week prior to the tournament. The game remained close up until the final five minutes as the Brown and White started to pull away and claim a 54-42 victory over the Explorers. In the semifinals, St. Bonaventure faced off against the Fordham Rams. The Rams jumped out to an early 11-point lead at the under 16 mark and they wouldn't look back from there as they went on to defeat the Bonnies by a score of 73-32. Forhdam went on to win the tournament title.
This season marks the fifth time out of six seasons that St. Bonaventure will be playing in postseason. After failing to make the postseason in the 2012-13 season, the Bonnies return to the WNIT, earning an automatic bid by going 23-10 and finishing in second place in the Atlantic 10. St. Bonaventure has a record of 6-4 in postseason play, including two NCAA Tournament victories over Florida Gulf Coast and Marist. Below is the complete list of postseason games:
|3/21/2009||WNIT (First)||West Virginia||W, 68-63||Reilly Center (St. Bonaventure, N.Y.)|
|3/26/2009||WNIT (Second)||Wisconsin||W, 56-51||Kohl Center (Madison, Wisc.)|
|3/29/2009||WNIT (Third)||South Florida||L, 80-66||Reilly Center (St. Bonaventure, N.Y.)|
|3/18/2010||WNIT (First)||Robert Morris||W, 76-50||Reilly Center (St. Bonaventure, N.Y.)|
|3/22/2010||WNIT (Second)||Northwestern||L, 66-62||Reilly Center (St. Bonaventure, N.Y.)|
|3/17/2011||WNIT (First)||Lehigh||W, 77-43||Reilly Center (St. Bonaventure, N.Y.)|
|3/21/2011||WNIT (Second)||Syracuse||L, 63-50||Carrier Dome (Syracuse, N.Y.)|
|3/18/2012||NCAA (First)||Florida Gulf Coast||W, 72-65 (OT)||Donald L. Tucker Center (Tallahassee, Fla.)|
|3/20/2012||NCAA (Second)||Marist||W, 66-63||Donald L. Tucker Center (Tallahassee, Fla.)|
|3/25/2012||NCAA (Sweet 16)||Notre Dame||L, 79-35||PNC Arena (Raleigh, N.C.)|
About The Bonnies:
• This season marks the fifth time in six seasons the Bonnies made the postseason, including four WNIT appearances and a NCAA Tournament berth in 2012 in which the team advanced to the Sweet Sixteen.
• The Bonnies' 11 conference wins (8-0 on home court) marks the second time in program history the team has won 10 or more conference games. The other time was in 2011-12 in which the team finished with a perfect 14-0 conference record in the regular season.
• The combined team records of the Bonnies' 10 losses this season are 218-97 (.692) for an average record of 22-10. Among those 10 losses, UConn is the unanimous no. 1 ranked team in the nation while NC State is currently ranked 16th.
• Head coach Jim Crowley has earned 20+ wins in five out of the last six seasons.
• The Bonnies finished the regular season with a 12-1 record on home court, including a perfect 8-0 conference home record.
• The Bonnies received five postseason awards from the Atlantic 10. Beginning with head coach Jim Crowley being named Coach of the Year for the third time in six seasons. Katie Healy was named the Most Improved Player of the Year as well as to the First Team All-Conference. Hannah Little was named the Sixth Woman of the Year, and Nyla Rueter was named to the Third Team All-Conference.
• Hannah Little has set a new single-season record for rebounds, now with 295. She broke the Bonnies record of 269 set by Sue Shay 1989-90.
• Chelsea Bowker enters Friday's game 26 points shy of reaching 1,000 career points.
St. Bona's In The National Rankings:
• 21st in personal fouls per game with 15.8.
• 34th in 3-PT field goal percentage with 35.7% (156-437).
• 48th in scoring defense by allowing 60.7 points per game.
• 69th in field goal percentage defense with 37.9%
• 71st in won-lost percentage (.697)
• 73rd in field goal percentage with 42.6% (683-1602)
Scouting The 49ers:
• The 2014 WNIT marks the ninth time Charlotte has participated in the event. The 49ers have a 7-8 record in WNIT games and an appearance in the 2011 WNIT Final Four. Charlotte is 2-6 in WNIT road games.
• Charlotte finished the regular season ranked second in Conference USA in free throw percentage (.734), second in defensive rebounds per game (27.9) second in rebounding margin (+4.5) and third in field goal percentage (.418).
• Senior guard Ny Hammonds ranks third in Conference USA and 25th nationally in assists per game (5.9).
• Junior forward Gabby Tyler finished the regular season third in field goal percentage (.571) and ninth in Conference USA, and ninth in rebounding (7.7 per game).
• Charlotte played 11 teams during the regular season that are playing in postseason tournaments this month, including NCAA tournament qualifiers Middle Tennessee State, South Carolina and Winthrop along with WNIT participants East Carolina, Furman, Old Dominion, Minnesota, Southern Mississippi, Stetson, Tulane and UTEP. The 49ers posted a 3-8 record against in their games against 2014 postseason schools.
Charlotte won last season's meeting 64-57 at the Reilly Center on January 30, 2013. Nyla Rueter and Katie Healy each scored in double-digits, they tallied 15 and 14 points, respectively.
Friday night's game will be the 10th meeting between the Brown and White and the 49ers. Charlotte leads the all-time series 5-4, however, St. Bona's is 3-2 at the Reilly Center.
If the Bonnies win on Friday night, they will go on to play the winner of the Bowling Green vs. High Point matchup that takes place later tonight (March 20). Bowling Green was recently ranked #25 in the AP Top 25 but failed to make the NCAA tournament as they fell to Ball State in the MAC championship. The regular season champions of the Big South conference, High Point finished the season with a 22-10 record but lost in the Big South championship final to Winthrop.