St. Bonaventure Starters: #10 G Jaylen Adams, #3 G Marcus Posley, #1 G Idris Taqqee, #21 F Dion Wright, #45 F Jordan Tyson
Survival. At points of the season, that is what Atlantic 10 games feel like. St. Bonaventure survived an overtime test on Wednesday night at Rose Hill Gym, prevailing 76-72 over Fordham for its fourth straight win.
The Bonnies improved to 16-6 overall and took over sole possession of fourth place in the A-10 at 8-3.
Fordham led 66-62 with 3:09 left on a Ryan Rhoomes layup, but the Bonnies clawed back. Jaylen Adams tied the game with two free throws. Rhoomes missed two free throws with 1:53 left, then Dion Wright tied the game with 1:29 with two free throws. The Rams missed two shots on their final two possessions, the second a jumper by Antoine Anderson as time expired in regulation.
In the extra session, Fordham took a 72-69 lead on two free throws with 2:04 remaining, but again the Bonnies answered. Drawing fouls, Denzel Gregg and Marcus Posley both made two free throws. Posley's pair gave St. Bonaventure the lead back at 73-72 with 1:22 to play.
The Bonnies forced another miss by Fordham, then Idris Taqqee made a jumper off a pass from Jaylen Adams with 18 seconds left to put the Bonnies up 75-72. The Rams' Joseph Chartouny missed a three-pointer trying to tie the game, and Posley sealed the win with a free throw.
Wright and Posley led the Bonnies with 21 points apiece, while Adams and Gregg both scored 11 points. Battling Rhoomes in the paint all night, Jordan Tyson played a career high 33 minutes, scored eight points and had four rebounds and three blocks.
How It Happened:
- The first half was a back-and-forth 20 minutes with neither team gaining a large advantage.
- The Bonnies led 29-25 after a Dion Wright three-pointer with 2:11 left.
- Fordham crept within 31-29 at halftime as the Bonnies led at halftime for the 18th time this season.
- After the Rams opened the second half with a three-pointer, St. Bonaventure scored nine straight points to open a 40-32 lead.
- Fordham battled back on the strength of red-hot three-point shooting. The Rams made seven (of 13) three-pointers in the second half.
- The Bonnies led by as many as nine points at 51-42, but the Rams tied the game at 59 with 5:00 left.
- Fordham continued its surge, and took a 66-62 lead with 3:09 left on a Ryan Rhoomes layup.
- Dion Wright tied the game at 66 with two free throws with 1:29 left.
- Neither team could score again; a last-second jumper by Fordham's Antonue Anderson was off the mark and the game went to overtime.
Beyond the Box Score:
- The win was the 140th in Mark Schmidt's career as St. Bonaventure coach. He moved ahead of Eddie Donovan (139) and into third place on the program's all-time coaching wins list. Schmidt is now behind only Larry Weise (202) and Jim Satalin (156).
- St. Bonaventure's 17 turnovers were its second-most of the year.
- Wright finished one rebound short of his 12th double-double.
- Adams, Posley and Wright played all 45 minutes of the game.
Up Next: The Bonnies are back home this Saturday, Feb. 13, to host George Washington at 4:00. The Homecoming Weekend contest will air on Time Warner SportsChannel.