@BonniesMBB Falls 75-67 at La Salle
Final Score: La Salle 75, St. Bonaventure 67
Location: Tom Gola Arena – Philadelphia, Pa.
Records: St. Bonaventure 16-12 (6-8 A-10) | La Salle 13-14 (5-8)
The Short Story: St. Bonaventure dropped a hard-fought and evenly contested game at La Salle on Wednesday night at Gola Arena.
Dion Wright made a twisting shot the lane with 2:23 left that put the Bonnies ahead 67-66, but St. Bonaventure missed its last three shots and had one turnover the rest of the way. La Salle went ahead for good on two free throws by Tyreek Duren with 2:07 left, and Tyrone Garland made a pair at the line at the 1:39 mark. Jerrell Wright made it a two possession game when he made one of two at the line with 30 seconds left and the Explorers went on to gain a split of the season series.
Matthew Wright led St. Bonaventure with 18 points; he made five of his eight three-point attempts. Youssou Ndoye scored 16 points and Dion Wright added 11.
How It Happened:
- St. Bonaventure got off to a good start and led 18-17 after a layup by Dion Wright. Youssou Ndoye also started well, scoring 14 of his 16 points in the first half.
- La Salle got hot from three-point range and that shooting sparked a 14-3 run that put the Explorers up 31-21. Tyreek Duren and Sam Mills both made three-pointers and Jerrell Wright scored inside twice during the run.
- It was a 38-29 La Salle lead when the Bonnies started to climb back. Charlon Kloof sparked a 9-0 Bona run, and he tied the game at 38 on a layup with just under a minute left in the half.
- After a score by center Steve Zack, La Salle led 40-38 at halftime.
- La Salle wound up making all six of its three-point shots in the first half and shot 68 percent overall (15-22) in the opening 20 minutes.
- The Bonnies fell behind by nine points early in the second half as La Salle scored 11 of the first 15 points to go ahead 51-42.
- It was a 51-44 game when Matthew Wright got hot, making three consecutive three-pointers. Dion Wright had a layup in the surge and the Bonnies tied the game at 55-55 with 12:19 remaining.
- The game then remained close as there were five ties and four lead changes the rest of the way.
- Ndoye gave the Bonnies a 63-62 lead with 5:50 left with his only bucket of the half, but Duren answered at the other end to put La Salle back in front.
- Jerrell Wright, who scored 10 of his 18 points in the second half, scored to put LaSalle up 66-65 with 3:01 left.
- Dion Wright answered for St. Bonaventure with a twisting hook shot in the lane that made it 67-66 with 2:23 remaining.
- St. Bonaventure missed its last three shots and had one turnover over the final two minutes.
- La Salle went ahead for good on two free throws by Duren with 2:07 left, and Tyrone Garland made a pair at the line at the 1:39 mark. Jerrell Wright made it a two possession game when he made one of two at the line with 30 seconds left.
- St. Bonaventure shot 46 percent from the field and out-rebounded the Explorers 30-26. Ndoye led the Bonnies with six rebounds while Dion Wright had five. Ndoye also blocked a pair of La Salle shots.
- St. Bonaventure did not attempt a single free throw in the second half and finished the game 8-10 at the line; La Salle was 16-24.
- While La Salle cooled off in the second half, the Explorers still shot 56 percent for the game.
Beyond the Box Score:
- With his 18 points Wednesday, Matthew Wright now needs just 11 to reach the 1,000-point plateau.
- Wednesday's game completed the home-and-home series between the schools; the all-time series is now 15-12 favor La Salle.
- Charlon Kloof enjoyed another strong floor game with eight assists and only one turnover – his first turnover in four games.
- Led by Ndoye and Dion Wright, the Bonnies outscored La Salle in the paint 44-34.
Up Next: St. Bonaventure returns home to host red-hot Saint Joseph's (20-7/10-3) this Saturday afternoon at the Reilly Center. Tipoff will be at 3:00 and the game will be televised by NBC Sports Network.