The St. Bonaventure baseball team makes another road trip on Tuesday, heading to northeastern Pennsylvania and a Tuesday non-conference doubleheader at Bucknell. The Bonnies will look to snap a three-game losing skid while the Bison roll in hot following a weekend four-game sweep of conference rival Lafayette.
The Bonnies and Bison are no strangers – in fact, the all-time series dates back to 1913. St. Bonaventure holds a 22-9-1 advantage all-time over the Patriot League member Bison including winning four of the last five meetings. The Bonnies won a single nine-inning game last year at Fred Handler Park, 6-4.
FLASHING THE LEATHER
Good defense has been a common theme the past two seasons for the Bonnies. A year ago, the Bonnies ranked among the top defenses in the Atlantic 10 with a .969 team fielding percentage. This season, St. Bonaventure has committed an Atlantic 10-low 28 errors, tying George Washington for the fewest miscues in the league. St. Bonaventure's .974 fielding percentage is second in the league, behind only GW's .978.
THREAT ON THE BASES
Junior Cole Peterson, who ranks sixth all-time in program history for stolen bases, has been among the top base-stealers in the Atlantic 10 this season. He stands second in the league with 11 stolen bags this year, being caught stealing just twice. Only GW's Joey Bartosic has more stolen bases among all A-10 players this spring with 12. Four players are tied for third with nine apiece.
SENIOR YEAR, BEST YEAR
Senior second baseman Jared Baldinelli is having a season to remember in his fourth campaign in Brown and White. The everyday starter leads the team with a .337 batting average and has already well surpassed his season-high for hits with 32 already through 27 games played. His previous season-best was 22 hits, coming in 93 at-bats last year – he's needed just 95 at-bats to pick up 32 hits so far this spring. He's racked up nine multi-hit games on the year and is getting on-base at a .431 clip, also best on the squad.
Through 28 games, statistically and record-wise the Bonnies are all even – 14-14 overall while they have scored 155 total runs and allowed the same total, 155.
- The Bison, picked third in the six-team Patriot League preseason poll, are third in the league with an 8-4 PL record and are 17-18 overall.
- Tuesday's games are the final home games of the year for the Bison who are 6-7 on home turf.
- The Bison hit .266 as a team with a 5.20 team ERA.
- Bucknell spreads its offense evenly with five players owning between 17 and 22 RBIs on the season. Three regulars are also hitting over .300 on the season.
- The Bison pitching staff leads the Patriot League in shutouts (4) and fewest home runs allowed (19), while opponents have been successful on a league-low 65.3-percent of their stolen base attempts.
The Bonnies return to Atlantic 10 play this weekend with a three-game series at George Mason Friday through Sunday.
Stay connected with St. Bonaventure athletics through social media. Follow the Bonnies on Twitter @Go_Bonnies and get baseball updates @BonniesBaseball. Keep up with the Bonnies on Facebook /GoBonnies and on Instagram @GoBonnies.