VCU Routs @BonniesBaseball, 17-5
Final Score: VCU 17 | St. Bonaventure 5
Location: The Diamond (Richmond, Va.)
Records: St. Bonaventure 4-12 | Ohio 19-3
St. Bonaventure Starters: T. Johnson (SS), Rosencrance (3B), Dunn (DH), Weightman (RF), Brozick (1B), Bell (CF), Heath (RF), Gresock (C), Styn (2B), Grey (RHP)
VCU Starters: Acker (RF), Bunn (LF), Cujas (3B), Machin (SS), Cullen (CF), Farrar (DH), Davis (2B), Marino (1B), Octavi (C), Dwyer (LHP)
The Short Story:
The St. Bonaventure baseball team struggled against the VCU Rams on Saturday, March 22 as it was routed by a score of 17-5. The Bonnies gave up a total of 23 hits in 44 at-bats through the nine-inning game. VCU got on the board early with back-to-back one run innings in the first and second. St. Bona's pushed a run across in the top of the third off a Tyler Bell groundout to second base. The Rams' offense exploded in the bottom of the fifth as they tacked on nine-runs with eight hits. Among those eight hits was a Matt Davis double that scored two runners. To follow their fifth-inning performance, VCU tacked on five runs in the sixth and one in the seventh to earn its 12-run victory over the Bonnies.
How It Happened:
- VCU jumped out to an early lead in the first. With runners on the corner, Vimael Machin knocked a sac-fly to the left fielder to score James Bunn.
- The Rams doubled their lead in the second off a groundout to second base that allowed Trevor Marino to score.
- The Brown and White got a run back in the top of the third. Brian Weightman got into scoring position as he reached second base on a wild pitch and then stole third base. After a Justin Brozick walk, Tyler Bell grounded out to the second-baseman, which allowed Weightman to score.
- After a quiet fourth inning, VCU opened up the ball game in the fifth as they scored nine runs off of eight hits. The Rams went on record seven singles and one double in the inning.
- St. Bonaventure tried to chip away at the lead in the top of the sixth. With two-outs the VCU pitcher walked Bret Heath and Bradley Gresock in back-to-back at-bats. After a wild pitch to move the runners up, Dwyer threw a consecutive wild pitch that brought Heath in from third. Two batters later Thad Johnson singled up the middle to earn his eighth RBI of the season when Gresock touched home plate from third.
- The Rams quickly responded by playing small-ball as they posted seven singles to increase their lead by five-runs in the sixth inning. After six innings, VCU led the Brown and White by a score of 16-3.
- In the next inning, the Rams tacked on another run in the seventh inning.
- St. Bonaventure attempted an insurmountable comeback in the ninth by scoring two-runs. Both runs would be scored off of bases loaded walks.
Inside The Box Score:
- The Bonnies recorded only six hits, including two from Dylan Dunn. Dunn now has 23 hits and 16 RBI this season.
- Starting Pitcher Connor Grey threw for 4.2 innings with three strikeouts while giving up four earned runs.
The Bonnies look to try to avoid being swept by the Rams as they return to the field on Sunday, March 23. First pitch is scheduled for 12 p.m.