PDF Box Score
Final Score: St. Bonaventure 4 | Rhode Island 3
Location: Fred Handler Park (St. Bonaventure, N.Y.)
Records: St. Bonaventure 11-25 (5-12) | Rhode Island 9-34 (4-13)
St. Bonaventure Starters: Gresock (3B), T. Johnson (SS), Dunn (C), Brozick (1B), Rosencrance (DH), Heath (RF), Bell (CF), Weightman (LF), Styn (2B), A. Johsnon (P)
The Short Story:
The St. Bonaventure baseball team claimed the first win of a three-game series against the Rhode Island Rams on Friday, May 2 by a score of 4-3. In the first at-bat of the game, Bradley Gresock connected on a 3-2 pitch and knocked it over the left-field fence. St. Bonaventure went on to notch two more runs before the Rams scored in the top of the sixth. The Rams gave the Bonnies a scare in the eighth as they brought the game to only a one-run deficit. In the bottom of the eighth, SBU tacked on a much-needed insurance run and ultimately the game-winning run. Rhode Island would once again put the Bonnies on the rope in the ninth but Thad Johnson only allowed one run and closed out the game with runners on second and third. Friday's win gives St. Bonaventure its third victory in the last four games.
Asa Johnson (3-4) held on for the win, while Ty Sterner (0-6) suffered the loss. Johnson completed 7.2 innings with three strikeouts and only one earned run.
How It Happened:
- In the first at-bat of the game for the Bonnies, Bradley Gresock knocked his first collegiate homerun that went over the left fielder on a 3-2 pitch count.
- The starting pitcher, Asa Johnson, had the first of two web gems of the inning as Dan Hetzel attempted a bunt and popped out, but the out was recorded by Johnson, who was forced to dive to catch it.
- The second web gem occurred to finish the inning as Tim Caputo scorched the ball to left center, but was caught by Tyler Bell as he left his feet and stretched out to make the amazing catch to end the second inning.
- After making the spectacular catch in the top of the inning, Bell started the bottom half off with a walk. Bell would later steal second and force an error on the pitcher that pushed him over to third. After one at-bat, Tommy Styn grounded out to the shortstop that resulted in Bell scoring from third.
- The action calmed down until the fifth when Joel Rosencrance singled to left field that scored Justin Brozick. After five innings the Brown and White lead 3-0.
- Rhode Island's offense started to hit its stride in the top of the sixth as it posted a lone run. The Rams would go on to close the gap in the top of the eighth, when they notched a RBI single.
- St. Bonaventure added an insurance run in the bottom of the eighth with a Brian Weightman single to center field that allowed Rosencrance to touch home.
- The Closer, Thad Johnson, got into trouble in the top of the ninth as the Rams had runners on second and third with one out. Pat Quinn helped Rhode Island's cause as he grounded out to the shortstop, which pushed across Caputo from third. With a runner on second, Johnson worked his way out of trouble with a fly-out to center field to end the game.
Inside The Box Score:
- This win is the second-straight win for Asa Johnson as he earned a win over the past weekend against Dayton. Johnson is now 3-4 on the season with a 4.08 ERA.
- Thad Johnson posted his fourth save of the season and his second save of the season when relieving his older brother. Johnson has now completed 28 innings of work with 19 strikeouts and only five walks.
- The Bonnies only had five hits compared to their opponent, who posted 10 hits. Among the five hits for SBU was Joel Rosencrance, who had two hits.
The Bonnies look to continue strong as they take on the Rhode Island Rams at 10 a.m. at Fred Handler Park on Saturday, May 3. Tomorrow is sign of the day, bring out your best signs as you cheer on the Bonnies and the top sign will be featured in tomorrow's recap.