@BonniesBaseball Rout Dayton, 13-4
Final Score: St. Bonaventure 13 | Dayton 4
Location: Woerner Field (Dayton, Ohio)
Records: St. Bonaventure 10-24 (4-11) | Dayton 18-22 (9-8)
St. Bonaventure Starters: Baldinelli (2B), Gresock (3B), Rosencrance (DH), Johnson (SS), Dunn (C), Bell (CF), Brozick (1B), Diaz (LF), Heath (RF), Grey (P)
The Short Story:
The St. Bonaventure baseball team knocked five-runs in the fifth inning to defeat the Dayton Flyers in the game two of the three-game series on Saturday, April 26 by a score of 13-4. The Bonnies jumped out to an early five-run lead after the fifth inning and then later tacked on three in the eighth to claim its tenth win of the 2014 campaign. This is the first series since Ohio University that the Bonnies have won. They have only won one series this year prior to today as they swept the Ohio Bobcats. Starting pitch Connor Grey (2-6) posted his second win, while Noah Buettgen (5-5) received the lost for Dayton.
How It Happened:
- The Bonnies took an early two-run lead in the second inning as they connected on three hits for two runs. Justin Brozick doubled to left field to score Dylan Dunn from third. Bret Heath drove in Brozick with a sac-fly to right field.
- St. Bonaventure pushed its lead by one in the third with another sac-fly to right field, but this time from the bat of Thad Johnson who drove in Joel Rosencrance.
- Dayton closed the gap in the bottom of the third with a lead-off homerun by Glenn Jones. Later in the inning, AJ Ryan completed a sac-fly that allowed Robby Sunderman to score.
- The game calmed down for only an inning as in the in fifth inning, SBU forced across five runs on five hits. The five runs were compiled of three singles, a sac-bunt and a double to right field. Dayton added a run in the bottom of the fifth. After five innings the Bonnies led, 8-3.
- In the seventh inning, Tyler Bell singled to center field that scored Johnson from second. AJ Ryan of Dayton went on to homer in the next frame.
- Rosencrance added three insurance runs in the top of the eighth with one-swing of the bat as he homered to right center to score Bradley Gresock and Jared Baldinelli.
- Gresock successfully completed a sac-fly to centerfield that scored Bret Heath.
Inside The Box Score:
- The starting pitcher, Connor Grey, completed seven innings of work and only allowed four runs on eight hits. He went on to strike-out four and walk four.
- Joel Rosencrance notched four hits in six at-bats that resulted in three RBI. He also went on to score three runs in the game. He was only a triple away from the cycle.
- Thad Johnson, Tyler Bell, Justin Brozick, Dylan Dunn and Jared Baldinelli registered two hits apiece. Johnson, Dunn and Brozick each had a double in the game.
- Eight SBU players combined for the 13 RBI.
- St. Bonaventure tallied 18 hits, while the Flyers only had eight.
The Bonnies look for the series-sweep of the Flyers on Sunday, April 27. First pitch is set for 12 p.m.