Final Score: St. Bonaventure 10 | Dayton 9
Location: Woerner Field (Dayton, Ohio)
Records: St. Bonaventure 9-24 (3-11) | Dayton 18-21 (9-7)
St. Bonaventure Starters: Baldinelli (2B), Gresock (3B), Rosencrance (DH), T. Johnson (SS), Bell (CF), Dunn (C), Brozick (1B), Diaz (LF), Weightman (RF), A. Johnson (P)
The Short Story:
The St. Bonaventure baseball team went on to score in six-straight innings to upset the Dayton Flyers in the opening game of the three-game series on Friday, April 25 by a score of 10-9. Despite an early three-run deficit after the first inning, St. Bonaventure went on to score nine runs in the next six innings while the Flyers only tallied three. This is the first victory for the Bonnies since their trip to George Mason on April 12. It ended a five-game skid for the Brown and White. Starting pitch Asa Johnson (2-4) took the victory while Joel Wahl (1-5) suffered the lost. Johnson pitched seven innings that resulted in 123 pitches for the senior, who posted five strikeouts on the day.
How It Happened:
- The Dayton Flyers flew out to an early 3-0 lead after the first. The Flyers registered two singles that resulted in the three runs.
- St. Bonaventure got two runs back in the top of the second with an error off the bat of Jared Baldinelli that resulted in a run from Justin Brozick. In the next at-bat, Bradley Gresock hit a sac-fly to right field that allowed Jonathan Diaz to score.
- The Bonnies tied the ballgame up in the third inning when Dylan Dunn stole home. This was Dunn's first stolen base of the year.
- SBU took the lead in the top of the fourth with a sac-fly from Thad Johnson that went to center field, which scored Gresock.
- In the top of the fifth, St. Bonaventure notched two doubles from Diaz and Gresock that scored three runners. After top of the fifth the Bonnies led 7-3.
- Dayton closed the gap in the next frame with one swing of the bat when Alex Harris homered to right field that scored three.
- Justin Brozick extended the Bonnies lead by two with a single to the shortstop that scored Tyler Bell from third.
- In the seventh inning, Joel Rosencrance doubled to right field that allowed Baldinelli to score.
- Dayton went on to add a run in the eighth as the game headed into the ninth inning with the score at 9-8 in favor of the Brown and White.
- Thad Johnson helped his brother in his hopes for his second win of the season when he singled to center field, which scored Randy Delanoy to score.
- The Flyers went on to give the Bonnies a scare in the bottom of the ninth but SBU was able to close out the game and earn the 10-9 victory.
Inside The Box Score:
- This is the first time since April 9, 2014 that the Bonnies have recorded double-digits in the run column. They have only posted this feat four times this season.
- The starting pitcher, Asa Johnson, faced 35 batters in his seven innings work, where Johnson allowed seven runs on 10 hits but struck-out five flyers.
- Joel Rosencrance and Thaddeus Johnson continued their streaks of reaching on base safely in 15 and 3 games, respectively.
- Justin Brozick and Rosencrance were the only Bonnies players to record more than one hit against the Flyers. Brozick notched four hits with a RBI while Rosencrance went 3-4 with a RBI.
- Thaddeus Johnson recorded his third save of the season.
The Bonnies look to continue their winning ways against Dayton as they are back on the diamond again tomorrow (April 26). First pitch is set for 1 p.m.