VCU Uses Strong Fourth Inning To Defeat @BonniesBaseball, 7-0
Final Score: VCU 7 | St. Bonaventure 0
Location: The Diamond (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 18-3 (1-0) | St. Bonaventure 4-11 (0-1)
St. Bonaventure Starters: Trimble (C), T. Johnson (SS), Rosencrance (1B), Dunn (DH), Bell (CF), Weightman (RF), Cox (2B), Diaz (LF), Delanoy (3B), A. Johnson (P)
VCU Starters: Acker (RF), Bunn (LF), Cujas (3B), Machin (SS), Ayers (C), Cullen (CF), Farrar (DH), Davis (2B), Marino (1B), Greene (P)
The Short Story:
The St. Bonaventure baseball team remained tied with the VCU Rams until they pushed across three-runs in the fourth and never looked back as they defeated the Bonnies, 7-0. The game would be scoreless in the first three innings as both teams recorded three hits. In the fourth inning, VCU started out the inning with a lead-off single to right center. After two quick groundouts, the rams had a runner on third. Logan Farrar reached first on an error by the third-baseman, which allowed the runner from third to score. This led to back-to-back hits by VCU to claim a three-run lead after four. The Rams went on to score four runs in the next three innings, including a homerun from Darian Carpenter. In the last six innings, St. Bonaventure only tallied two hits.
How It Happened:
- VCU's Farrar popped up to third base but was dropped by the third-baseman, which allowed Vimael Machin to score from third to give the Rams a one-run lead.
- In the next at-bat, Matt Davis doubled to left center to drive in Farrar.
- The Rams continued to tack on runs in the fourth as Trevor Marino singled to left field to score Davis from second. VCU would lead 3-0 after the fourth inning.
- In the fifth inning, Machin improved the Rams lead as he would convert on a sac-fly to centerfield that scored the runner from third.
- At the beginning of the sixth, VCU made the switch from Farrar to Carpenter. It proved to be the correct move as Carpenter homered to left field. The Rams tacked on another run before the inning was over from a sac-fly to left field.
- The seventh and final run of the game for VCU happened in the bottom of the seventh after a single up the middle to score Bill Cullen.
Inside The Box Score:
- The Starting Pitcher, Asa Johnson, completed seven innings of work and gave up 12 hits and three earned runs. He threw a total of 124 pitches, including 79 strikes. His season ERA is now at 2.30.
- Daniel Trimble recorded two hits on three at-bats, both of them being singles. He would also make an appearance on the mound throwing for an inning and striking out one batter.
The Bonnies jump right back into action on Saturday as they face VCU for the second game of a three-game series. First pitch is set for 3 p.m.