@BonniesBaseball Rallies To Defeat Ohio In Series-Opener
Final Score: St. Bonaventure 6 | Ohio 4
Location: Bob Wren Stadium (Athens, Ohio)
Records: St. Bonaventure 2-8 | Ohio 4-10
St. Bonaventure Starters: Trimble (C), T. Johnson (SS), Rosencrance (1B), Dunn (DH), Bell (CF), Weightman (LF), Cox (2B), Heath (RF), Delanoy (3B), Klimek (P)
Ohio Starters: White (RF), Black (DH), Longo (CF), Madsen (1B), Wells (LF), Adryan (3B), Bredeson (C), Black (SS), Finkler (2B), Roehn (P)
The Short Story: The St. Bonaventure baseball team rallied from a two-run deficit to defeat the Ohio Bobcats on Friday evening in Athens, Ohio at Bob Wren Stadium by a score of 6-4. In a back-and-forth game, the Bonnies jumped out to an early one run lead in the first from the bat of Dylan Dunn. The Bobcats quickly answered back in the bottom of the first as Jake Madsen singled up the middle to tie the ballgame up. In the next frame, St. Bonaventure retook the lead off a Daniel Trimble single to score Ryan Cox. Ohio would go on to tack on three-runs in the bottom of the second off of three hits. The Brown and White would begin to chip away at the Bobcats' lead in the third when Cox singled up the middle to score Tyler Bell. After two scoreless innings, St. Bona's would go on to tie the game after scoring in the sixth from knock up the middle from Thad Johnson. The Bonnies completed the rally in the seventh, when Bell scored on a throwing error. SBU went on to add an insurance run in the ninth and ultimately clinch the win.
- The RBI machine, Dylan Dunn, posted his ninth RBI of the season in the first-inning with a single to center field that scored Thad Johnson.
- Garrett Black of Ohio earned the first run for the Bobcats after he touched home from a Madsen's single.
- The catcher, Trimble, singled in the top of the second to score Cox to give the Bonnies a 2-1 lead.
- Ohio applied the pressure in the bottom of the second by tacking on three-runs on three-hits. Tyler Finkler drove-in the first runner of the inning when he walked with bases-loaded. In the next at-bat, Scott White flied out to the center fielder that allowed Ty Black to score for the Bobcats. Ohio closed out the inning with a squeeze bunt to score the runner from third. After two innings, Ohio led 4-2.
- Ryan Cox recorded his first RBI as a member of the Bonnies in the third-inning with a single up the middle to score Bell.
- Thad Johnson tied the ballgame up in the top of the sixth after he followed in the footsteps of Cox and singled up the middle to drive-in Bret Heath.
- Tyler Bell gave St. Bonaventure its first lead since the second inning after he scored from a throwing error on the second-baseman.
- Jonathan Diaz added an insurance run in the top of the ninth by advancing Tommy Styn home after grounding out to the shortstop.
Inside The Box Score:
- The Bonnies were active on the bases today as Thad Johnson, Tommy Styn and Tyler Bell combined for four stolen bases.
- The starting pitcher, Steven Klimek, was pulled after two-innings of work due to back pain.
- Connor Grey earned his first win of the season after coming into the game in the third inning and shut-down the Bobcats offense by only allowing two hits and tallied two strikeouts.
- Eight of the 11 hits for the Bonnies came from Trimble, Dunn, Cox and Randy Delanoy, all of which are newcomers to the team this year.
- Thad Johnson recorded his second save of the season with one scoreless inning and only allowing two hits.
Stat of the Day:
Today's match-up marked the Bonnies first all-time meeting with Ohio.
The Bonnies return to the diamond tomorrow (March 15) for a doubleheader against Ohio. First pitches are set for 1 p.m. and 4 p.m.