Fifth-Inning Burst Leads to @BonniesBaseball Victory Over Lehigh, 6-4
Final Score: St. Bonaventure 6 | Lehigh 4
Location: Port Charlotte, Fla.
Records: St. Bonaventure 1-8 | Lehigh 2-4
St. Bonaventure Starters: Diaz (LF), T. Johnson (SS), Rosencrance (1B), Dunn (3B), Bell (CF), Heath (RF), Lalonde (DH), Trimble (C), Cox (2B), Teller (P)
Lehigh Starters: Garzillo (2B), Elson (SS), Abeln (C), Brong (DH), Nalesnik (RF), Faust (1B), Rinaldi (LF), Donnelly (3B), Kozemchak (CF), Gotzon (P)
The Short Story:
The St. Bonaventure baseball team ended its eight-game skid as they defeated the Lehigh Mountain Hawks on Monday, March 3 in Port Charlotte, Fla. by a score of 6-4. The Bonnies' offense erupted in the fifth inning, when they scored five runs off two triples from Tyler Bell and Bret Heath. The Mountain Hawks attempted a comeback in final four innings by tallying three runs but struggled in the eighth and the ninth, going down in order. In their ninth game in Florida, St. Bonaventure used pitching by committee that resulted in a strong outing for the staff, only allowing four runs on seven hits.
- The game began all-too-familiar for the Brown and White as Lehigh jumped out to an early 1-0 lead in the top of the second from a single to right field that allowed its right fielder to score.
- St. Bonaventure quickly responded in the bottom of the third, when Thad Johnson earned a RBI from a single to left field to score Daniel Trimble.
- After the Bonnies' lead-off hitter in the fifth walked, the next two batters went down in order. Thad Johnson and Joel Rosencrance both earned themselves walks to load the bases. Dylan Dunn would follow suit and notched himself a RBI from a bases-loaded walk.
- With two-outs and bases-loaded, Tyler Bell was able to drive-in all three-runners with a triple.
- Bell would not stay on the bases long as the next batter, Bret Heath, drilled the ball for a triple to allow Bell to score.
- In the next inning the Mountain Hawks tacked on two-runs coming off of two-hits, including a double to left field from Brong.
- Lehigh registered their final run in the seventh when its center fielder grounded out to the shortstop, but allowed Donnelly to touch home plate.
Inside The Box Score:
- Drew Teller posted his first start of the season as he went two innings, allowing one run on two hits.
- Six Bonnies combined for the six hits that Lehigh gave-up today, among those were four extra-base hits.
- Joel Rosencrance earned the first win for the Brown and White this year, when he came in the third inning and only allowed a single-hit on the mound.
- Despite earning the win today, St. Bonaventure recorded a season-high 14 strike-outs, while Lehigh only struck-out three times.
- To close out the game the Bonnies went to sophomore Thad Johnson, who threw four innings and registered his first save in his collegiate career.
The Bonnies earn a week and a half break before getting back on the diamond as they travel to Athens, Ohio to take on the Ohio Bobcats in a four-game series, including a doubleheader on Saturday, March 15. The Bobcats will have six contests before playing SBU.